Here's an awesome comparison to the incredibly expensive Arri Alexa. Not that the two cameras are in the same ball park when it comes to price or features or results, but for folks looking to see what they can do with a low price camera, this is a great way to see just what you could get from a $1295 camera.
Related planet5D articles:
- First Look: Official Video from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Unboxing and First Impressions on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K vs Arri Alexa
Via Youtube Video Description:
Most people don't need to be told the Alexa is probably the most popular cinema camera in the world. We all know it's good, so this video isn't a comparison.
Instead, it's a video for newcomers or for those looking to understand the differences between a $1,295 camera and a $50,000+ camera.
I test three cameras:
1. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K + 12-35mm f/2.8 II
2. Arri Alexa XT + Ultra Primes
3. Panasonic GH5 + 12-35mm f/2.8 II
We tested for two situations, interior and exterior.
Interior was tested for neutral middle grey exposure, +3 and -3 stop exposures. The shutter angle/speed was manipulated to keep colors consistent. We tested at two ISOs – 400 and 3200. This was mainly a comparison where the Pocket 4K was center-stage.
We shot both RAW and Prores for the Alexa XT and the Pocket Cinema Camera. With Arri it was 2.8K in Arriraw and 2K in Prores HQ. With the Pocket Camera 4K it was 4K DCI in CDNG Lossless and Prores HQ. With the Panasonic GH5 it was UHD in All-I 400 Mbps 10-bit 4:2:2.
For the exterior test we shot random footage just outside the rental facility, provided by GS Video, Mumbai. Everything was paid for, so no free stuff!
The Alexa obviously is easy to make out – with shallow depth of field. We were using an Ultra Prime at T2, while the other two cameras were at f2.8. But they definitely could be matched, all three of them.
Get the latest Deals on Camera Gear HERE.
(cover photo credit: Snap from video)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Rant: why so much camera hate? - April 17, 2019
- Free Soloing El Capitan – A bit about how they filmed it - February 18, 2019
- Camera & Flask – Great Filmmaking Podcast - February 18, 2019