We've seen a lot of interesting news and products from CineMartin over the years (they've been in business now for 8 years so they're not just some crazy brand new company – tho I'm told they've recently re-organized the company).
They've produced monitors and recorders and have been a leader in H.265 tech, and now, they're going to produce an 8k video camera with Global Shutter – the Cinemartin Fran! This could be a very interesting tool!
Pricing hasn't been determined but they intend to release this fall. We'll keep you up to date!
CINEMARTIN FRAN 8K Camera
Cinemartin Fran Features
50 MP (4:3), Global Shutter, VV sensor size, 15.5 Stops, Up to 2.8 GBps
Preliminary version, 20180510
Supported recording formats:
- Uncompressed sequence of raw or plain files (by default)
- Uncompressed 422p video (processing on camera)
- Prores 4444 (post processing by software)
- Prores 422 (post processing by software)
- Up to 8K (8000×6000) RAW / Uncompressed 12 Bits
- Global Shutter
- Sensor 4:3 – 37 x 27mm (Supports VistaVision 1:47 aspect ratio 7920 x 5388)
- Video tools: Histogram (monochrome, color), False color, Focus Assist
- Customizable software: Object count, automated magnification, face detection
- User defined Color temperature, Auto White Balance, Sharpness
Fall 2018. Expected limited availability and quantities during 2018 and early 2019.
Gorgeous 50 MP sensor World highest resolution.
An 8K sensor 4:3 with a resolution of 7920 x 6024 providing up to 24 fps at 47.7 MP
on planned upgrade *
Global Shutter Perfect movement shoots
Global Shutter means no deformations on recording on movement or recording things in movement. Global Shutter means all sensor readout at the same time, as opposed to Rolling shutter on the sensor is read typically up to down. Global Shutter required higher performance chip (FPGA / ASIC) in order to achieve 8K resolution at a one pass readout. In fact, no other camera company achieved 8K using a global shutter.
Sony Venice’s, RED Monstruo or Arri’s uses an advanced optimized Rolling Shutter sensor but as RED say “When working with strobes or fast subjects, this mode reduces partial exposure issues”. the key is “partial”, and this is resolved with Global Shutter.
World biggest sensor*
*commercially available as for purchase
With a dimension of 37 x 27 mm this equals to an area of 999 mm (37*27).
Red Monstruo VV sensor size is 40.96 x 21.6 mm, that equals to 884 mm. Arri 65 is rental only.
Fran allows to record in original VistaVision aspect ratio of 1.47:1 (7920×5388) as well as full 4K 4:3 (7920×6024), 4K 16:9 etc.
Fran can achieve 15.5 stops of Dynamic Range Initially in Canon EF mount as shown on left picture
RAW Dng, Uncompressed & Prores
Fran record in uncompressed stills (dng or dib) by default.
It has a post-processing tool to transcode to uncompressed avi or prores (4444 or 422).
Color & Monochrome
Fran by default can record in color up to 6K, 8K is done at monochrome until 2019 when a planned firmware / hardware update will bring color to the 50 MP 8K.
It has a special programming interface (opencv based), that will allow third parties to develop custom software for the camera to do things like object/s detection, automate ROI for better framerate, etc..
- To have an example, NASA or an Airplane can use the camera to detect other planes or things in the scene, and let the camera to crop the sensor for a better readout, so like zooming to where the object or objects are alive (in real-time) -as the camera supports multi crop (many areas)- in order to get a faster framerate.
- Internally the camera have Certified m.2 NVME SSD media with 1TB or 2TB.
- Users can backup or cut/copy the recorded media by simply connecting a USB or TB3 drive and pressing the backup button located on the side Camera Controller module of the camera.
- A backup or copy of 1 TB of media using the TB3 port and some unit like Fusion TB3 from Sonnetech takes 8 minutes approx.
Useful built-in tools
It has false color, Histogram (color and mono) as well as LUT (as monitor and/or as record) , Focus Assist and other pro functions usually only available on high-end monitors.
Compact & Functional
Chasis made of Aluminum dimensions similar to RED’s with: 11cm (w) x 14cm (h) x 9cm (y). It have built-in Wireless as well as USB 3.0, Gigaethernet and ThunderBolt3 (TB) ports.
An HDMI port with output resolution of up to 4K provides for monitoring.
One Controller module (right side) and a Audio module (left side) are under development to provide better control, to be available when the first units of the camera will become available.
Price is not defined as of now, but will be less than its competitors and will be announced when the camera becomes ready to purchase / order.
Limited quantity of units will be available for fall 2018 and early 2019, with more general availability in the rest of 2019.
Alejandro Barrada Martin, product manager
“Life can be short or not, it depends on how you focus yourself and the people outline you”
Learn more about Cinemartin Fran.
Find great camera deals at HERE.
(cover photo credit: snap from Cinemartin)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K vs Arri Alexa - October 9, 2018
- Unboxing and First Impressions on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - October 3, 2018
- GoPro Hero7 “The Gimbal Killer” – Will This Bring Them Back? - September 25, 2018