So, Google is buying Lytro?
You see from the list below, we've covered Lytro many times as it has created some very important technology in the photo/video space in the last 5+ years.
But to sell to google for only $40million? Wow, that seems surprising if it is true.
Not sure at all what that would mean for their attempts to enter the high end cinema market.
Check out these planet5D articles featuring Lytro:
- Lytro Cinema Could “Replace The Way Hollywood Makes Films” – The Next Game Changer?
- Where will Lytro focus their Light Field technology after exiting the consumer market?
- The Lytro Immerge Is A Virtual Reality Game Changer – But Expensive!
- Lytro adds Perspective Shift and Filters to their Living Pictures
Sources: Google is Buying Lytro for About $40M
Last week, Google showed off a new app to display immersive photography in virtual reality, and a multi-camera technique for capturing it, and now it looks like there may be plans to enhance that with some bolted-on technology created by a third party.
Multiple sources tell us that Google is acquiring Lytro, the imaging startup that began as a ground-breaking camera company for consumers before pivoting to use its depth-data, light-field technology in VR.
But we have heard from several others connected either to the deal or the companies.
One source described the deal as an “asset sale” with Lytro going for no more than $40 million. Another source said the price was even lower: $25 million and that it was shopped around — to Facebook, according to one source; and possibly to Apple, according to another. A separate person told us that not all employees are coming over with the company’s technology: some have already received severance and parted ways with the company, and others have simply left.
Read full article at TechCrunch “Sources: Google is buying Lytro for about $40M
(cover photo credit: snap from TechCrunch)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- RØDE Launches the RØDECaster Pro – Super Cool All-in-one Podcasting Recorder - November 23, 2018
- Black Friday Roundup: Camera Deals and More - November 23, 2018
- New Mastering Color Course Teaches Color Grading for Independent Filmmakers – Plus Giveaway! - November 9, 2018