This is cool and going to make things so much better for those shooting DSLR video – a RØDE mic that shuts itself off!
The VideoMic Pro+ is now available!
I was able to preview these at the RØDEShow earlier this year and I've been eagerly awaiting the news that they'd be available… just look at these features!
New Videomic Pro+
- New rechargeable battery as an option. Can run on 2 AA batteries instead of 9volt.
- New rechargeable battery will last 100 hours. 2 hour recharge time.
- New auto power off and power on! Will detect when cables are not connected and turn itself off and can also detect when the camera is turned on and power up. This was pretty well received by the audience including cheers from me as I’ve burned thru several batteries by not turning the dang things off or remembering to turn it on when recording.
- Can operate with power from microUSB without batteries if needed – so you can connect to ptap or other sources with adapters.
- Also exciting is newly designed battery compartment door. Many had difficulty with the prior version and they heard us!
- 2 stage high pass filter – 75 and 150Hz as well as a high frequency shelf
- Cords have locking screws like on the RØDELink system. Since the cords are removable, you can get several varieties of plug combinations for different cameras including smartphones!
- The mic itself is a bit higher – meaning further away from camera body picking up less noise from camera itself.
- Rycote Lyre Shock Mount of course (which they’re making in-house now by the way).
VideoMic Pro+ Videos
VideoMic Pro+ Press Release
- Automatic Power Function (subject to plug-in power availability) is perfect for the run-and-gun shooter, automatically turning the microphone off when unplugged from the camera.
- Built-in Battery Door makes replacing the battery a breeze – plus it won't get lost.
- Power Options – the VideoMic Pro+ can be powered by the all-new and included RØDE LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 2 x AA Batteries or continuously via Micro USB.
- Digital Switching – will ensure the user has ultimate capture of the audio signal at the source, reducing post production and editing times. The Digital Switching includes:
- 2-Stage High Pass Filter to reduce low frequencies such as rumble from traffic or air conditioning.
- 3-Stage Gain Control, with +20dB function – designed to improve audio quality on DSLR or mirrorless cameras.
- High Frequency Boost will boost high frequencies enhancing detail and clarity in the recording.
- Safety Channel to help ensure the signal does not clip when unexpected spikes occur.
“The VideoMic Pro+ is a new benchmark in on-camera microphones,” comments Damien Wilson, RØDE and Freedman Group CEO. “We have listened to our customers and are delivering the microphone they've asked for, with features such as the Built-in Battery Door, Automatic Power Function and a Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, included in the box.”
The VideoMic Pro+ ships with the LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 3.5mm TRS Cable, Micro USB Cable; includes RØDE's 10-year warranty and is now available at authorised RØDE dealers. For more information please visit www.rode.com/microphones/videomicproplus
About RØDE Microphones:
RØDE Microphones (www.rode.com) designs and manufactures high-quality microphones and related accessories for studio, live and location use. Its products are designed and primarily manufactured in Sydney, Australia and exported to over 113 countries globally. 2017 is the 50th anniversary of RØDE parent company Freedman Electronics, which began business in 1967.
(cover photo credit: snap from RØDE)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- GoPro In the News for All the Wrong Reasons - January 12, 2018
- Panasonic Releases LUMIX GH5s – Extended Coverage! - January 9, 2018
- DJI Introduces Single Hand Gimbal, Ronin S - January 8, 2018