Sound Devices adds two new audio recorders called the MixPre and they look astounding.
I can't wait to see these at NAB today — taking on the other small audio recorders, these look amazing (and I was talking to a young lady at an NAB party last night who's an audio tech who is really really excited about these!).
The MixPre Series by Sound Devices
Sound Devices Launches MixPre Series Audio Recorders, Bringing Hollywood Sound to the Mass Market
Via Sound Devices Press:
Ultra-portable MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 feature USB audio streaming and the first-of-its-kind touchscreen – perfect for musicians, videographers, podcasters and YouTubers
REEDSBURG, WI, APRIL 19, 2017 — Sound Devices, LLC, the audio manufacturer whose products are trusted for award-winning productions including La La Land, Mad Max: Fury Road and Game of Thrones, announces the launch of its new groundbreaking product line, the MixPre Series of audio recorders with integrated USB audio interface. The lightweight, robust, ultra-portable MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 are the perfect audio companions for musicians, sound designers, podcasters and videographers. Available now for $649 and $899 respectively, Sound Devices’ MixPre Series marks the first time the industry pioneer is bringing its high-end, professional audio innovations to the wider consumer market.
The 3-input/5-track MixPre-3 and the 6-input/8-track MixPre-6 feature Sound Devices’ groundbreaking new Kashmir™ microphone preamps. Handcrafted by Sound Devices, this new high-performance, ultra-low-noise, discrete, Class-A microphone preamp and analog limiter circuit ensures high quality, stress-free, professional-grade audio recordings.
“Our new Sound Devices MixPre Series is the culmination of decades of experience designing products for the best-of-the-best in the professional audio industry,” says Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices, LLC. “Our mic preamps simply have to be heard to be believed, whether mic’ing drums, birds, or dialog, using condenser, dynamic, or ribbon mics, the finest textures of the audio are preserved. The MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 merge the latest advances in audio technology with an unintimidating, compact and rugged design. These products are a must-have piece of equipment for anyone ranging from production engineers and musicians to YouTubers.”
Some of the unique features of the MixPre Series include:
- Superior professional-grade audio – state-of-the-art, custom-engineered Kashmir mic preamps with analog limiters and new 32-bit A-to-D converters.
- USB audio interface – record while streaming USB audio at the same time; ideal for mixing or recording podcasts, Skype interviews and video blogs. Also serves as a useful backup by recording to an SD card.
- Compact and durable – the pocket-sized MixPre-3 is one of the smallest products in its class. Both the MixPre-3 and the slightly larger MixPre-6 are the perfect size for jobs on the run. They are also constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis making them robust, yet extremely lightweight.
- Touchscreen – sunlight-readable, color LCD using IPS touch-screen technology for the ultimate in convenient navigation.
- Full-featured mixer – equipped with ergonomic gain controls for fast and accurate mixing, and a custom-designed, wide-bandwidth, high-power headphone amp for monitoring. Also includes pan and soloing plus LED ring metering.
- Mobile app – built-in Bluetooth Smart(R) Technology enables control from the Sound Devices free Wingman app. Users can start/stop recording, enter/edit metadata, as well as arm, disarm and rename tracks on the MixPre recorder from a mobile device. The Wingman app is available for iOS from the App Store.
- Camera mounting – as an added benefit to DSLR users, the MixPre Series also have retractable 1Ž4″-20 mounting capacity making them a perfect pairing for a wide variety of cameras.
The MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 offer many similarities in terms of functionality, but differ in size and I/O capabilities. The MixPre-3 offers up to a 5-in/2-out USB audio interface with 3 discrete mic preamps, and the ability to stream up to 3 analog inputs (including 3 high quality mic inputs) + 2-channel mix over USB. The MixPre-6 offers up to a 8-in/4-out USB audio interface with 4 mic preamps, and streams up to 6 analog inputs (including 4 high quality mic inputs) + 2-channel mix over USB to a Mac or Windows computer. In addition, the MixPre-6 features XLR / 1Ž4” combo inputs allowing 1Ž4” line-input sources to be connected directly. Both models record to a removable SD, SDHC or SDXC media card.
Both MixPre recorders come with Basic and Advanced modes. Designed to allow a user to start recording right out of the box, the Basic mode takes the guesswork out of audio recording and is intended for stereo recording applications, such as interviews, video blogs, music or podcasts. The Advanced mode offers more experienced audio enthusiasts access to multi-channel recording and advanced settings, such as metering, routing, timecode, preamp gain, stereo channel linking, headphone presets and more. The MixPre Series also has several convenient powering options from AA or Li-Ion battery sleds. It can also be powered via USB from a computer or optional wall-mount accessory.
The MixPre Series will be sold at Sound Devices authorized audio resellers and distributors, which can be found at www.sounddevices.com/resellers.
Founded in 1998, Sound Devices creates premiere audio equipment for Hollywood’s award winning sound departments. The audio manufacturing pioneer, offers portable audio mixers, digital audio recorders and related equipment for feature film, episodic television, documentary, news gathering, live-event, musical and acoustical test and measurement applications. Sound Devices is headquartered in Reedsburg, Wisconsin with offices in Madison and Chicago. For more information, visit www.sounddevices.com.
(cover photo credit: snap from source in post)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- After Effects Tips: Standing on a Moving Car - May 21, 2018
- Happening Now! Aurora HDR 2018 72 Hours Flash Sale - May 18, 2018
- TSA Battery Restrictions – Flying with Lithium Ion - May 17, 2018