I was blessed to be at the announcement of several new RØDE microphones in Las Vegas Tuesday evening and they didn’t fail to impress!
They announced 5 new microphones (3 of them are for live performances) and teased about 30 new products in the pipeline for the coming years.
Unfortunately, neither will be available as soon as we would like as they’re still in prototype mode and they haven’t even locked down the features. But they did tell us quite a bit about the planned features. Nor did they announce any pricing.
We didn’t get a “spec list” to take home either, but here are the notes I made from the presentation.
New Videomic Pro+
- New rechargeable battery as an option. Can run on 2 AA batteries instead of 9volt.
- New rechargeable battery will last 100 hours. 2 hour recharge time.
- New auto power off and power on! Will detect when cables are not connected and turn itself off and can also detect when the camera is turned on and power up. This was pretty well received by the audience including cheers from me as I’ve burned thru several batteries by not turning the dang things off or remembering to turn it on when recording.
- Can operate with power from microUSB without batteries if needed – so you can connect to ptap or other sources with adapters.
- Also exciting is newly designed battery compartment door. Many had difficulty with the prior version and they heard us!
- 2 stage high pass filter – 75 and 150Hz as well as a high frequency shelf
- New microfiber flocked wind sock – better than the foamie, but not as good as a dead cat or a blimp but designed to be very functional indoors and even light winds outside.
- Cords have locking screws like on the RØDELink system. Since the cords are removable, you can get several varieties of plug combinations for different cameras including smartphones!
- The mic itself is a bit higher – meaning further away from camera body picking up less noise from camera itself.
- Rycote Lyre Shock Mount of course (which they’re making in-house now by the way).
They were using the prototypes at the presentation but I didn’t find out about it until they were all packed away.
Have a look at some of the photos below!
Official RØDE presentation
Found this on the webs – appears to be possibly private?
Freedman Electronics Launches 50th Birthday Celebrations at RØDEShow 2017
Via RØDE Microphones Press:
WEDNESDAY, January 18, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Last night, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, The Freedman Electronics Group – home to premier pro audio brands RØDE Microphones, Event Electronics, Aphex and SoundField – opened its 50th year of business in style, hosting 250 giants of the industry at the RØDEShow 2017 party. The celebrations also previewed a revolutionary product release.
RØDE Founder Peter Freedman AM expressed extreme gratitude to the gathered partners and friends, presenting a short history of the company started by his parents Henry and Astrid Freedman in 1967. “If my parents could see us today, I know they would be very proud,” Peter said. “It’s been a journey full of great heights and some real depths as we made the transition from a sound system installer and pro audio retailer to a manufacturer and exporter of microphones to the world. 2016 was our biggest ever year in business and with these new products for the RØDE range, plus the innovations in development within our Aphex, Event and SoundField divisions, the next decade is so very exciting. Stay tuned.”
To celebrate the milestone, RØDE produced a 196-page company history, titled RØDE TRIP Street Side to Worldwide: Inside 50 Years of Freedman Electronics and RØDE Microphones. The book places the company’s evolution in the context of the pro audio industry and world at large: from the Freedman family roots in the UK and Sweden, their emigration to Sydney Australia in 1966, the foundation of the Freedman Electronics store the following year; the rollercoaster fortunes of the company until Peter began manufacturing and exporting microphones under the RØDE brand in 1993; innovation, growth and the lessons found in business.
The new products announced at RØDEShow 2017 include:
TFM-50 Valve omnidirectional microphone, produced in collaboration with Grammy Award-winning classical music producer Tony Faulkner
NT-49 Valve Studio Microphone
NT-RV Valve Ribbon Microphone
NT-5 Matched Pair Improved capsule technology for a best-in-class pair of studio condenser microphones
VideoMic Pro+ Premium on-camera video shotgun microphone
VideoMic SoundField World’s first on-camera ambisonic, 360-degree surround sound microphone
RØDE Microphones and The Freedman Electronics Group have planned a year of giveaways and social media executions throughout 2017. Stay tuned.
About RØDE Microphones:
RØDE Microphones (www.rode.com) designs and manufactures high-quality microphones and related accessories for studio, live and location use. Its products are designed and primarily manufactured in Sydney, Australia and exported to over 111 countries globally.
(cover photo credit: snap from RØDE Microphones)