Are you sitting down? Yes, it is true! Canon has just announced a body with in-camera stabilization, and electronic viewfinder (EVF), and Focus Peaking! The new Canon EOS M5 mirrorless
While it doesn't pretend to compare to Sony or Panasonic Mirrorless cameras like the Sony A7s II or the Panasonic GH4, it is a great step and begs many questions (and I can hear the bashers now… “why not put this on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?”) but also is a view into the future for Canon.
I've always wondered if they were going to get into 5-axis stabilization and finally we have an answer. But only a partial answer as we don't know if they'll ever bring it to the ‘pro' line. Heck, they just announced the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV so was it impossible to get the 5-axis in the pro body or (more likely) are they testing the waters with the M5 and maybe we'll see it in the future on ‘pro' cams. We'll have to see.
So we see some good movement here with 5-axis IS (tho if it is only available in video then should we assume it is software only? “in-camera digital IS” kind of implies it is software only doesn't it) and an EVF and Focus Peaking (but again, why not add focus peaking to the 5D4?).
- Electronic Viewfinder! OLED 2.36 million dots
- 5-axis Image Stabilization
- Same sensor and AF System as Canon EOS 80D
- Wifi and new Bluetooth connections
- 24mp APS-C
- ISO 100-25,600
- DIGIC 7
- Video: 1080HD up to 60fps (no 4k)
- Dual Pixel AF!
- Adapter to use EF lenses
- Tilt LCD (but not articulating but it does flip “down” which gives a ‘selfie' view below the camera (isn't that where the tripod gets in the way? LOL)
- Touch screen
- Viewfinder and LCD active at the same time!
- 7fps (with focus lock 9fps)
- Timelapse mode – complete video
- Delivery in November
So… get out your wallet and pre-order!
- Canon EOS M5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) $979.99 – B&H or Amazon
- Canon EOS M5 w/15-45 f/3.5-6.3 IS STM $1099.99 – B&H or Amazon
- Canon EOS M5 w/18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM $1,479.99 – B&H or Amazon
- Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens (Graphite) $499.99 – B&H or Amazon
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens $549.99 – B&H or Amazon
CANON U.S.A INTRODUCES THE LATEST MEMBERS OF THE EOS FAMILY
THE EOS M5 DIGITAL CAMERA AND ITS FIRST EF-M HIGH POWER ZOOM LENS
EOS M5 Camera Provides The Fastest Autofocus (AF) speed of EOS M-Series
and a built-in Electronic Viewfinder
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 15, 2016 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the latest additions to its EOS M series system – the new Canon EOS M5 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera and compact EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens. The EOS M5 camera features a 24.2 Megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor, DIGIC 7 Image Processor and the fastest AF speed in the EOS M-series, enabling photographers to capture clear, sharp, high-resolution images and Full HD videos. It is also the first in the EOS camera line to include the low energy Bluetooth® Smart feature that can maintain a constant connection with your compatible smartphone or tablet when you use the Canon camera connect application and both applications are active. The versatile EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is compatible with all Canon EOS M series digital cameras, and is a great option for photographers looking to capture scenic landscapes while traveling to close-up shots from afar.
“The new capabilities found in the Canon EOS M5 Camera and EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens set a new standard for our EOS M series of cameras and lenses, showing that Canon is constantly incorporating performance enhancements desired by our customers,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “When paired together, the new EOS M5 camera and EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens provide image-makers of all levels with powerful tools that enable them to capture a variety of remarkable images and videos.”
In addition, advanced photographers will appreciate the improved operability of the EOS M5 camera. It has a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF) and Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF for capturing stills and shooting video with smooth and precise autofocus. This allows for Touch and Drag AF so users can easily switch the subject of their focus by dragging the AF frame directly on the LCD panel, even while looking through the camera’s EVF. Focus peaking allows users to highlight the area of the image that is in focus from within the EVF or LCD monitor. In addition to its touchscreen operability, the EOS M5 camera also has easily accessible dials that allow you to quickly adjust your settings on-the-go.
Key Features of the Canon EOS M5 Camera Include:
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100–25600.
- Fast and smooth Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you capture stills and shoot video with quick and precise autofocus.
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF Lock) and new DIGIC 7 Image Processor with improved AF tracking performance.
- Full HD 60p helps capture fast-moving subjects and brilliant results in MP4 format.
- Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilizationwhen shooting movies plus increased image stabilization with both lens optical IS and in-camera digital IS when shooting with an IS lens.
- Built-in high-resolution EVF (approx. 2,360,000 dots) with new Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame displayed for more precise focusing in different shooting situations.
- Intuitive touch screen 3.2 tilt-type (85° up/180° down) LCD monitor (approx. 1,620,000 dots) enables flexible positioning and clear viewing.
- Easily customize functions while shooting using the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, Dial Function Button and Exposure Compensation Dial.
- Built-in Wi-Fi® and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos.
- Equipped with Bluetooth®iii Smart for smooth pairing with a compatible smartphone by powering on both devices for easy photo sharing and remote control possibilities.
- Shorter camera startup time and interval time between each image capture for a more efficient shooting experience.
- Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EF and EF-Sviii lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
The Canon EOS M5 also features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization, while capturing video, a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attachediv, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos. The DIGIC 7 Image Processor makes the 5-axis IS possible even with lenses that do not contain IS, because the in-camera image stabilization functions independently to help reduce camera shake when shooting videos.
Additionally, the EOS M5 camera shoots impressive time-lapse videos. The EOS M5 camera also allows for easy panning by setting the optimal shutter speed after analyzing the camera's panning speed and how fast the subject is moving.
The new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens offers a high-zoom ratio, expanding the range of photographic possibilities for EOS M digital cameras. Its image stabilizer helps with reducing image blur and making image and video shooting easier at longer focal lengths. Along with the enhanced performance, the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is compact and lightweight, making it a versatile and convenient lens to carry.
Key Features of the Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Include:
- Canon’s first EF-M high-zoom power lens covering a broad range of shooting scenes with a high-zoom ratio of up to 8.3x (29–240mm equivalent).
- Compact and lightweight design allows for easy portability.
- Optical design helps provide excellent image quality across a broad zoom range comparable to the EF-S 18–135mm f/3.5–5.6 IS USM lens.
- Maximum magnification of 0.31x at focal length 150mm.
- Image Stabilizer effect at up to 4 stops of shake correction helps capture sharp images.
Pricing and Availability
The new Canon EOS M5 camera is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers or through the Canon Online store at shop.usa.canon.com/ in November 2016, for an estimated retail price of $979.99 for the body only. It will also be sold as part of body-and-lens kits with EF-M 15-45mm/F3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom kit lens (estimated retail price of $1,099.00, scheduled to be available early November 2016), and with the new EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens for an (estimated retail price of $1,479.00x, scheduled to be available early December 2016x)
In addition, the new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, available in graphite and silver colors, is scheduled to be available in December 2016 for an estimated retail price of $499.99x.
Additional optional EOS accessories include a Body Jacket (EM-E2) and Neck Strap (EH29-CJ) that come in black or brown.
For more information please visit: mseriescameras.usa.canon.com
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean(excluding Mexico) markets. With approximately $31 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE: CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2015† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2016. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
Based on Canon’s testing standards. (Measured according to CIPA guidelines. EFM 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 STM lens is used.)
Compatible with select smartphone and tablet devices (AndroidTM version 5.0 or later and the following iOS® devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad 3rd gen. or later, iPod Touch 5th gen. or later) equipped with Bluetooth® version 4.0 or later and the Camera Connect App Ver. 1.3.20 or above. This application is not guaranteed to operate on all listed devices, even if minimum requirements are met.
When applications are active. Switch from Bluetooth® Smart to Wi-Fi® when viewing the images on the camera via the compatible smartphone.
Maximum image stabilization is achieved when using either the EF-M 18–150mm f/3.5–6.3 IS STM or the EF-M 15–45mm f/3.5–6.3 IS STM with the lens firmware update.
Compatible with iOS® versions 8.0/8.1/8.2/8.3/8.4/9.0/9.1/9.2/9.3, Android™ smartphone and tablet versions 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1/6.0. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
Compatible with Android™ smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1/6.0.
Approximately 66% faster than the EOS M3 camera.
Mount Adapter EF-EOS M is required when using EF/EF-S lenses for EOS M series digital cameras.
Measured at the focal length of 150mm (35mm equivalent of 360mm), using the EOS M3 digital camera based upon CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards.
Availability, prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
(cover photo credit: snap from the CameraHouse video)