Improvements and lower price? Shocking!
The Zoom H4n has been a staple of indie filmmakers and solo shooters for dual system sound for quite a while and Zoom's done a significant update with a price decrease… yes you read that right – a price drop! How rare is that?
The new Zoom H4n Pro has:
- Improved pre-amps
- Locking XLR inputs
- Improved screen
- Similar form factor but improved rubberized finish
- optional RC4 remote to control the H4n Pro
- The Pro offers studio-grade effects and emulators to enhance your recordings.
And all that priced at $219! Buy at B&H
Zoom H4n Pro – an improved version of the most popular audio recorder around
The most widely used audio recorder by DSLR filmmakers is without doubt the Zoom H4n. The handy recorder gained incredible popularity with video shooters trying to do dual system sound. These days more and more cameras have proper XLR connections and improved audio capabilities, but many factual shooters still like to use dual system external audio – either for better audio quality or as a backup.
Today Zoom have announced the latest version, the H4n Pro. At first glance you can mistake it for its predecessor. It has the same hand holdable form factor and a similar layout. Like its predecessor it also has onboard X/Y Mics as well as two XLR/TRS inputs. It can record four audio tracks at up to 24/96 resolution. By rotating the mic capsules you can change the X/Y mic pattern from a 90 degree angle for a tightly focused stereo image, to 120 degrees for a wider image.
According to Zoom the H4n is much improved under the hood. They claim the overall sound is better. The pre-amps (which were always a weakness of the earlier versions) are said to be more natural sounding and cleaner. The XLR connections are now locking – another problem point with the earlier models.
Zoom H4n Pro 4-Channel Handy Recorder (2016)
- Adjustable Stereo X/Y Microphone
- Can Record 4 Tracks Simultaneously
- 2 x XLR / 1/4″ Combination Input Jacks
- 3.5mm Line Input with 2.5V Plug-In Power
- 28V & 48V Phantom Power
- Record & Play WAV & MP3 Formats
- AD/DA Conversion up to 24-Bit / 96 kHz
- Built-In Metronome and Chromatic Tuner
- 2-In/2-Out Interface via USB
- Rubberized Body with Locking XLR Jacks
|Note: it is our policy to give credit as well as deserved traffic to our news sources – so we don't repost the entire article – sorry, I know you want the juicy bits, but I feel it is only fair that their site get the traffic and besides, you just might make a new friend and find an advertiser that has something you've never seen before|
(cover photo credit: snap from source in post)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- EOS Canon EOS C500 Mark II Storms on to the Professional Video Market - September 5, 2019
- the 5DayDeal Video Creator's Bundle is HERE! - June 7, 2019
- It is all about story - June 6, 2019