While we know Nikon is struggling, we also know that they make some amazing cameras and lenses.
I found this post on NikonRumors and really enjoyed the short included with it.
Granted it is a promo basically for a guy who has a photo tour in Costa Rica, I enjoyed seeing the video in 4k. And some of you might slam me for this, but heck, good nature videos look awesome in 4k – maybe that's the best use of 4k on the planet?
By the way, I note that their #1 – the touch screen LCD – is hopefully putting a big scare into Canon. I'm going to be very disappointed if the 5D4 doesn't have a touch screen LCD with full functionality (instead of the crippled touch screen they put on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II).
Nikon D5: Costa Rica Wildlife in 4K
The top 10 new features on the Nikon D5
Via Nikon Rumors:
1. Touch Screen LCD: This is the highest resolution LCD I have ever seen on a dslr camera and it reminds me of the retina screen on my 15 inch Macbook Pro. It is significantly easier to tell if an image is sharp on this LCD. Being able to tap or pinch to zoom, and scrub quickly through images using touch is a welcomed improvement.
2. Additional Fn3 Function Button: I use this button to rate images in the field which speeds up my image review and post processing workflow. You can assign a star rating of 1-5.
3. Dual XQD Slots: Both my D5 and D500 now shoot to XQD. My 64GB G Series cards unload at a remarkable rate. This increases my productivity and equals less time staring at my computer waiting for images to transfer.
4. New ISO Button: The newly positioned ISO button allows me to switch ISO with one hand making manual shooting much easier. Tip: on the D4S you can assign the movie record button to accomplish the same task.
5. 4K Time-lapse Photography: For projects on a deadline and for quick social media posting I can now shoot 4k time-lapse that is merged in camera. This also saves time in post. The downside is that in contrast to using the interval timer you won’t be able to keep the RAW images.
Read full article at Nikon Rumors “The top 10 new features on the Nikon D5”
Nikon D5 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Dual XQD Slots)
- 20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor
- 3.2″ 2.36m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
- Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System
- Native ISO 102400, Extend to ISO 3280000
- 12 fps Shooting for 200 Shots with AE/AF
- 180k-Pixel RGB Sensor and Group Area AF
- 14-Bit Raw Files and 12-Bit Raw S Format
- 1000 Base-T Gigabit Wired LAN Support
Qualifying itself as the flagship model in Nikon's DSLR lineup, the D5 is positioned as a truly fast, highly precise machine for professional photographers. Revolving around a full-frame, FX-format 20.8MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this workhorse touts an impressive 12 fps continuous shooting rate with full-time AF and AE, an expandable sensitivity range that goes up to ISO 3280000, and 4K UHD video recording at 30 fps.
Matching the imaging versatility, the Nikon D5 is also characterized by its redeveloped Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system, which incorporates 99 cross-type sensors for refined precision when tracking moving subjects or working in difficult lighting conditions.
This model features dual XQD memory card slots, to provide versatility in file handling during shooting, and a range of selectable raw file sizes can also be used depending on output needs. Designed to keep up with the fastest subjects and handle the most difficult working conditions, the Nikon D5 is an advanced DSLR well-suited to the most extreme multimedia workflows.
Learn more about Nikon D5 at B&H.
|Note: it is our policy to give credit as well as deserved traffic to our news sources – so we don't repost the entire article – sorry, I know you want the juicy bits, but I feel it is only fair that their site get the traffic and besides, you just might make a new friend and find an advertiser that has something you've never seen before|
(cover photo credit: snap from Nikon Rumors)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Flickr Buyout! SmugMug Acquires Flickr – What Will Happen to Your Photos? - April 23, 2018
- Photojournalists Ditch DSLRS, Breaking the Rules of Traditional Photojournalism - April 20, 2018
- RigWheels Introduces Its New Collection of Versatile Camera Dolly, Camera Slider and Camera Mounting Tools - April 13, 2018