What will the next Canon EOS 5D hold? We're all wondering! Most rumors have it being called the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV – but there have been a few thoughts about it just being called the 5D X… i'm leaning toward the IV
But of course we all have our desires for what it will do and how it will perform.
I can confirm as well that I've heard what canonrumors is saying:
We’re told that “more than a few” Canon preferred photographers have been out testing the EOS 5D Mark IV recently ahead of the expected August announcement. This should tell us that the camera hardware specifications have been finalized and the software remains the final piece of the puzzle to tweak and improve.
While solid specifications remain difficult to come by, we were told a few things about the video features of the camera.
Internal 4K confirmed (again)
120fps @ 1080p confirmed
Every time I get the chance, I let Canon know what I would like to see on the 5D4 as well as other cameras. I was pleased to hear that some of my desires were echoed by those potentially testing this camera and some of the Canon reps I've spoken with.
What do I want?
- Red focus points – while it may seem silly, when I tested the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, it was really nice having red focus points and yes, I know I have a partial solution on the 5D3 – but they only flash when you achieve focus.
- Focus assist or zebras when shooting video
- More dynamic range
- Lower noise (the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II is insane for low noise)
- The ability to SAVE settings to a card and to load them back in. This would be awesome for multiple camera setups (everyone start with the exact same settings) and for folks who want different sets (like “wedding” and “nature” or “portraits” etc.).
What would you like to see on the next one?
And what do you think this '24mp mode' is? (see below)
So, if we compile some of the earlier rumors what do we think we're getting?
From CR earlier in May:
All we know for sure about the EOS 5D Mark IV at the moment is that it will be announced in August for Photkina and should be in your hands by October of this year.
And back in April, canonrumors suggested these specs:
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Rumored Specifications
- 24.2MP Sensor
- 61 AF Points (41 crosstype)
- DIGIC 7+ (Single)
- ISO 100-51,200 (expandable options)
- 3.2″ touchscreen LCD
- CFast/SD card slots
- Wifi built-in
- GPS built-in
- BG-E20 battery grip
- LP-E20 battery
- Slight weight reduction
(cover photo credit: snap from the cr post)