While not the biggest most exciting announcement on the planet today, for photographers, there are some interesting tidbits here…
I'm recently experimenting more with my flash. It feels like an under utilized tool in my arsenal. I keep seeing what other photogs are doing with light and tho I've always felt like a good natural light guy, there are times where I should be enhancing my images with more light and i'm intimidated. So i'm eager to see the enhancements to the Speedlite.
Even more interesting (tho limited in usage at this point) is the new EF-M 28mm for the Canon EOS M – because it has a built in ‘ring light' for macro photography.
So it includes image stabilization as well as being able to light up your macro subjects. Very cool.
Now if only it was for big boy cameras… will that be coming?
Accessorize This Spring With the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT Flash and Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM Lens With Built-in Macro Lites and Image Stabilizer
Via Canon Press:
MELVILLE, N.Y., May 11, 2016 – Spring is all about having the right look and Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions,is giving photographers of all levels two new options that can improve their creativity and versatility; the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash and the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens.
Photographers looking to take rapid-fire flash images will appreciate the improved recycling time in the new Canon Speedlite-600EX II-RT flash. Those looking to explore the world of macro photography will appreciate the stylish compact look of the new Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens, the first EF-M Macro Lens for the Canon EOS M Camera System, which features Image Stabilization and a pair of built-in miniature Macro Lites to enhance image quality during close-up photography.
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash Offers Improved Recycling Time and More
The Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash is compatible with most EOS cameras. It replaces Canon’s top-of-the-line Speedlite 600EX-RT, and improves recycling time by approximately 1.1 to 1.5 times *during continuous flash shooting when using AA batteries and up to 2 times *when adding the new optional Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N.
Additional Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash features include:
• Zoom flash head covers wide focal length range of 20–200mm; maximum guide number is 197 ft./60m at ISO 100, making Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash the most powerful flash unit in the EOS system.
• Wireless flash shooting support is available for both radio and optical transmission with compatible Canon Speedlites, offering users greater functional range when using flash.
• Multiple flash system support allows control of up to five groups of compatible Canon Speedlites.
• Dust- and water-resistant body for reliable operation in harsh environments.
• Flash-readiness indicator on the display panel, simplified button and dial operation and variable manual flash output.
• New, specially designed accessories supplied include a built-in bounce adapter, plus SCF-E3 hard-type color filter sets, and a soft case.The new Compact Battery Pack CP-E4Nis available as an optional accessory for faster recycling time and more flashes per charge.
• Illuminated dot matrix LCD panel for enhanced display information, including flash mode and usable distance ranges plus C.Fn (Custom Function) and P.Fn (Personal Function) settings.
First Macro Lens in the Canon EF-M lens series
Photographers looking for a compact, lightweight macro lens should look no further than the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens, the first Canon Macro Lens specifically designed for the EOS M Camera System.
The new lens features a pair of built-in miniature Macro Lite electronic flash units that illuminate close-up subjects as needed, helping to freeze movement, enhance color accuracy and provide a better sense of depth and dimension. Two curved flash unitssurround the front element of the lens, with the ability to illuminate both simultaneously, or one at a time. Users are also able to adjust the brightness of the Macro Lites between “bright” and “dim”settings.
The standard focusing range of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens extends from infinity to life-size (1 time). Additionally, a Super Macro Mode allows shooting at even higher magnifications up to 1.2 times. This feature allows you to capture smaller details that really make your subjects stand out against the background.
Additional features of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens include:
• Hybrid IS, the same feature as found on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens, helps reduce camera shake for enjoyable handheld photography.
• Stepping motor (lead screw-type STM) helps provide smooth and quiet focusing operation when taking photos, and near-silence when shooting videos.
• One UD lens and two aspherical lenses** help deliver outstanding image quality at all distance settings by reducing chromatic and spherical aberrations.
• Angle of view similar to a 45mm standard lens (35mm equivalent) provides flexible image capture of various subjects and scenes at macro distances and beyond.
• Tapered lens top shape makes it easy to capture high-quality images at close range without casting shadows.
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT electronic flash unit is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June 2016 for an estimated retail price of $579.991. Canon’s EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lensis scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers inJunefor an estimated retail price of $299.991.
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean (excluding Mexico) markets. With approximately $31 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2015† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2016. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
# # #
1Availability, pricing and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
* Based on Canon’s standards. As compared to the Speedlite 600EX-RT.
**Among autofocus lenses for interchangeable lens cameras. As of May 11, 2016, based on Canon's research.
Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT
Complete with built-in radio transmission wireless functionality, the Speedlite 600EX II-RT sits at the top of Canon's on-camera E-TTL / E-TTL II compatible flash lineup with a powerful guide number of 197′ at ISO 100 and 200mm. This revision improves continuous flash performance by 1.1-1.5x, or up to 2.0x with optional battery pack, simplifies the menu system for faster operation, and includes a specially designed bounce adapter, a hard color filter, and an updated soft case. The two-way 2.4 GHz radio system provides added reliability and a range up to 98.4′ among up to 5 groups with a total of 15 individual Speedlites. This system also does not need direct line-of-site like traditional optical-based transmission and will work through obstacles.
- 2.4 GHz Wireless Radio Transmission
- Compatible with Canon E-TTL / E-TTL II
- Guide Number: 197′ at ISO 100 and 200mm
- Zoom Range: 20-200mm (14mm with Panel)
- Tilts from -7 to +90°
- Rotates Left & Right 180°
- 1.1-1.5x Improved Continuous Flash
- High-Speed, 1st & 2nd Curtain Sync
- Bounce Adapter and Hard CTO Color Filter
- Runs on 4 AA Batteries
Learn more about the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT at B&H
Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM Lens
A compact prime designed for macro photography, the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM from Canon is a 44.8mm-equivalent lens designed for APS-C-format EF-M-mount mirrorless cameras. Characterized by its 1.2x maximum magnification and 3.7″ minimum focusing distance, this sleek lens is further distinguished by its integrated Macro Lite LED to provide additional illumination to close-up subjects. Aiding its ability to reproduce small subjects at greater than life size, the optical design incorporates one UD element and two aspherical elements to reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations in order to provide a high degree of sharpness and clarity.
- EF-M Mount Lens/APS-C Format
- 44.8mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5
- One UD Element & Two Aspherical Elements
- STM Stepping AF Motor
- Hybrid IS Image Stabilization
- Maximum Magnification: 1.2x
- Super Macro Setting for 3.7″ Min. Focus
- Built-In Macro Lite LED
- Retractable Design for Compact Profile
Learn more about the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM Lens at B&H
(cover photo credit: snap from B&H)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- EOS Canon EOS C500 Mark II Storms on to the Professional Video Market - September 5, 2019
- the 5DayDeal Video Creator's Bundle is HERE! - June 7, 2019
- It is all about story - June 6, 2019