Sorry everyone, I've been sick as a dog the last 4 days and haven't been able to write much…
NAB was awesome this year! It was so great to meet so many readers!
I was also so pleased to go to the Blackmagic press conference and hear about some great things they're doing, but was also so pleased to see them take a break and not announce new cameras. After the delays they've had for years, I think it was very smart for them to take a pause and announce things that are shipping now, or will be in the next month or so.
Hugh Brownstone was able to sit down with Blackmagic's Dan May and asked some great questions…
Blackmagic's Dan May on the URSA Mini 4.6K Journey – Plus New Products [NAB 2016, Episode 9]
Blackmagic's URSA Mini 4.6K was the camera many of us were waiting for: all the goodness of the original URSA but much smaller and lighter; a 15-stop dynamic range, 4.6K sensor; and a switchable global shutter. Only problem was, it didn't ship – until now. And even now, there's no global shutter. I sit down with one of my favorite imaging industry execs, Blackmagic Americas President Dan May to learn what happened. He also talks about new, shipping products: the $895 4K Video Assist 7″ Recorder/Monitor and the new $1.795 Studio Viewfinder.
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini 4.6K Digital Cinema Camera (EF-Mount)
Now in a smaller, more handheld friendly form factor, the URSA Mini 4.6K Digital Cinema Camera from Blackmagic Design can record cinematic images with its Super-35mm 4.6K, sensor with 15 stops of dynamic range. The ergonomic body design is balanced and can be used for many different styles of filmmaking. The EF-mount is compatible with a plethora of popular lenses, opening up different aesthetic options. A rosette on the side of the camera accepts the included side handle which can control start/stop via a LANC connection.
- Super-35mm CMOS Sensor
- 4608 x 2592 Video up to 60p
- Compressed Raw Recording
- Ready-to-Edit ProRes 444 + 422 Recording
- Dual CFast 2.0 Memory Card Slots
- 12G-SDI Output, Timecode and REF Input
- 1080p Flip-Out Screen
- Touchscreen Interface
- 2x XLR Audio Inputs with Phantom Power
- Magnesium Alloy Body
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Adorama Instant Rebates for Sigma, Sony and Canon! Including Exclusive Trade-In Offer on Canon Cinema and Pro Video Cameras! - June 19, 2018
- Sony RX100 VI Review by Hugh Brownstone – The TWO Things You Need to Know - June 18, 2018
- Video Capabilities Will Be at the Heart of All Future Canon Prosumer Camera Bodies - June 15, 2018