And NAB begins early with several news items coming out — here, Atomos expands their monitor/recorder line with two releases – the Atomos Shogun Flame and Ninja Flame which both feature their new HDR and High Brightness features.
Claiming 10 stops of range on their 7″ monitors attached to both, they may be setting a new bar for other monitors. Tho frankly, I've never really thought about how much dynamic range my monitor has… is it something you use as a comparison stick?
Plus they're using the HDR acronym (High Dynamic Range) – which of course has been used in photography for years and often has a bad rep (at least when you see those people who totally (in my opinion) over do HDR and make an image look totally fake). But Apple's used HDR for a while simply to indicate you'll see more darks and better control over highlights… which is what we're seeing here in the demos.
Overall, these are very impressive and we look forward to seeing them live at NAB.
- 1920 x1200 Touchscreen Display
- 10-Bit FRC Monitor Processing
- 4K HDMI Input/Output
- 1500 cd/m² Brightness
- HDR Mode with 10 Stop Dynamic Range
- High Bright Mode for Rec. 709 Viewing
- UHD 4K up to 30p / 1080p up to 120 fps
- 10-Bit 4:2:2 ProRes & DNxHR Encoding
- Records to 2.5″ SSD/HDD Media
- Dual Sony L-Series Battery Slots
Atomos Shogun & Ninja Flame – HDR & High Brightness Launch Trailer
Atomos Ignites HDR & High Brightness in the Field
1500 nits, 10 stops, 10 bit from $1295USD
Via Atomos Press:
Melbourne, Australia – 22nd March 2016: In the same way that the original Atomos Shogun helped fast track the transition from HD to 4K filmmaking, Atomos are intent on delivering 4K HDR to everyone with the launch of the Shogun Flame and Ninja Flame.
The Atomos Flame Series delivers the world’s most advanced 7” field monitor, accurately displaying 10 stops of the luminance detail of Log with 10 bit HDR Post Production color accuracy, for the first time in a field monitor. The AtomHDR engine not only resolves HDR brightness detail (dynamic range), with 10-bit color accuracy it also resolves 64 times more color information than traditional 8-bit panels. For Rec709 standard dynamic range scenes, the 1500nits brightness aids with outdoor shooting as does the upgraded continuous power management system that will keep you shooting longer in the field. Of course you also get the professional 4K/HD Apple ProRes/DNxHR Recording, Playback and Editing that has made Atomos famous. Shogun Flame and Ninja Flame are available for sale in quantity week of March 28th, from the authorized Atomos reseller network.
“HDR is simply amazing, it’s the next revolution for filmmaking, once again Atomos are first with the technical solution to make it quicker, easier and more affordable for filmmakers” said Atomos CEO and co-founder Jeromy Young, “Anyone that sees HDR, from content creators to consumers are immediately sold, more life like shots and real world detail. Our job is to open up HDR to all filmmakers by removing the technical and affordability hurdles that might slow its progress.”
The Flame series of monitor-recorders are equipped with the AtomHDR engine, utilising the power of the 1500nit panel in tandem with Atomos’ patent pending image processing to resolve the brightness detail of Log camera signals with the color accuracy of 10 bit HDR images mastered in post production. This means that the usual complications of exposing Log signals on a washed out image are eliminated – with AtomHDR you simply frame, expose, focus and shoot. All major camera makers log formats are supported – Sony, Canon, Panansonic, Arri, Red and JVC.
The monitor itself is a calibrated 7” 1920×1200 325ppi IPS with upgraded 10-bit color accuracy, resolving 1.07 billion colors compared to the 16.7 million colors of traditional 8-bit panels. This all but eliminates the color banding seen on traditional panels and in tandem with AtomHDR lets you see images as you would with your own eyes.
For existing SDR, Rec709 delivery or scenes that do not have the wide brightness variation required for HDR shooting, switch to traditional video mode (Rec709) and activate a Brightness slider that lets you take advantage of the impressive “Daylight Viewable” 1500nits of brightness emanating from the Flame units. This adds huge versatility for the Flame series – if you have scenes that call for HDR, activate the AtomHDR mode. If you don’t, switch to High Bright mode for outdoor monitoring hood free.
Shogun and Ninja Flame have a rugged built in armour ensuring it is battle-ready for the field and also now inherits the Atomos patented continuous power system pioneered on our HD range. The hot-swappable dual battery system automatically swaps to the second battery when power is low, allowing hot swapping to new fresh batteries. This coupled with our new improved battery charger which is 3 times faster means that power is always taken care of.
The addition of AtomHDR, the 1500nit brightness, 10-bit colour accuracy and Continuous power genuinely positions the Flame Series as the best 7” Field Monitors in the world, but as we know with Atomos they are much more than monitors alone, featuring advanced recording, playback and editing capability as well. Both units record 4K/HD direct from the sensor to 10-bit 4:2:2 Apple ProRes or AVID DNxHR/DNxHD onto affordable yet reliable SSD’s from the world’s leading media brands. They also feature on the fly 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown removal and advanced recording features such as Timelapse & Pre-roll. Playback with controls is possible on screen or out to larger monitors and you can even use the built-in focus, framing and exposure tools to judge the shot and then start tagging to make decision making in Post faster and easier.
The Ninja Flame is a HDMI only model with all of the above features and ships with a host of accessories including a HPRC hard case, a snap-fast HDR sunhood, fast battery charger, control cable, 2 x NP-F750 4 cell batteries, USB 3 Docking Station, D-Tap Cable, 5 x Master Caddy Cases and a 12 V 3A AC-DC Power Adapter. MSRP is US $1295
The Shogun Flame is a HDMI & SDI model with bi-directional SDI/HDMI conversion, Raw to Apple ProRes/DNxHR recording for select Sony and Canon cameras, balanced XLR audio input/output and LTC/Genlock connectivity. It features the same above accessories as well as the XLR breakout cable for an MSRP of $1695.
Flame Series Key Features:
· With a Dynamic range to match that of a 10-bit camera LOG footage, AtomHDR monitors deliver the detail in highlights and shadows usually clipped on traditional monitors.
· A highly advanced field monitor even in non-HDR scenarios with 1500nits brightness for outdoor shooting, native full HD resolution and optional calibration to ensure natural LCD colour drift can be corrected over time.
· Record direct from the sensor in pristine 4K UHD (up to 30p) or record high frame rate HD (up to 120p)
· Along with recording the high pixel density of 4K, the Ninja and Shogun Flame also record higher resolution 10-bit colour information and more precise yet efficient 4:2:2 colour encoding.
· Recording to Apple ProRes and AVID DNxHR visually lossless edit-ready codecs ensure you capture full individual frames like film, providing more flexibility and creativity in post. Can be delivered to any standard – never worry about having your footage technically rejected due to the format again.
· Ready for real-word conditions with built-in armour protection, dual battery hot-swappable continuous power system to ensure you always have power and a raft of included accessories including a new fast charger and snap-fast sun hood.
· Our patented hot-swappable dual battery system for continuous power is backed up with the included power accessories (2 x 4-cell batteries, D-Tap adaptor and blazingly fast battery charger)
· An arsenal of creative weapons including focus and exposure tools, 3D Custom Looks, Waveforms (LUMA and RGB) and Vector Scopes ensure you set the shot up perfectly every time.
· XLR audio via breakout cables for Shogun Flame or 3.5mm line level input with audio delay, level adjustment and dedicated audio meters with channel selection for Ninja Flame.
· We support affordable, readily available SSDs from the world’s most trusted media brands.
The Flame Series is shipping (March 28th) for a MSRP of:
Please view the fill list of resellers here: www.atomos.com/where-to-buy/
Atomos exist to help creative professionals cut through technology barriers by creating easy to use, cutting edge products including 4K & HD Monitor-recorders, a pocket size Apple ProRes recorder, signal converters & power management solutions. Each product serves a different need but all share the common benefit of enabling a faster, higher quality and more affordable production schedule for video professionals.
Atomos is based in Australia with offices in the USA, Japan, China and Germany and has a worldwide distribution partner network. Further product information can be found:
(cover photo credit: snap from Atomos)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- AIR in MOTION Proof of Concept by Vincent Laforet - February 8, 2018
- The Freedman Group Acquires FuzzMeasure & RØDE Launches RØDETest Division - January 30, 2018
- Don't Miss It! B&H Live Panel Discussion On The New Panasonic Lumix GH5s - January 26, 2018