What's happening in the industry in terms of sales and market share for different types of cameras and lenses?
The folks at LensVid put together this awesome graphic and video.
Interesting things to me:
- Mirrorless tho growing still only makes up 9% of the market
- Lenses and interchangeable lens cameras tho lower than peaks in 2012 are still above 2009 levels
- compact (‘point and shoot') cameras are dead, dead, dead
- While DSLRs have dropped in sales from 2012, and mirrorless has been rising, mirrorless still isn't taking over from DSLRs
- If you look at their percentages of the “camera market overview” from 2013-2015, DSLRs have in fact increased their market share more than mirrorless (tho this is all coming out of the huge drop in compact cameras so it is hard to really judge). And that increase is much bigger than mirrorless' increase.
- 3% drop in lenses is much lower than the 17% drop in cameras – which is why Canon and others are making bodies to sell lenses. Lenses have higher profit margins.
Everyone keeps talking about how they're moving to mirrorless, yet the market share is still small. Growth in 3 years from 2013 to 2015 is only 200k new units up to 3.2 million. Maybe if we polled filmmakers who've moved from DSLR to mirrorless we'd get a much higher percentage? Let us know in the comments.
So while you may think there's a bunch of doom-and-gloom for the camera market (and don't get me wrong, they are hurting), there's still significant growth for interchangeable lens cameras and lenses if you compare over longer periods than just one or three years. The killer has been the move away from those god-awful point and shoot cameras to the smartphones.
And with at least one smartphone gaining Dual Pixel Autofocus (the samsung galaxy S7), maybe there's even more positive things on the horizon for photographers and filmmakers wanting to shoot with smaller cameras.
Here's their chart:
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Timelapse Workshops Announces Unique Photography Workshops for 2019 - September 14, 2018
- Canon EOS R Full-frame Mirrorless Camera – Now Available for Pre-order at Adorama - September 13, 2018
- Canon XF 705 Professional Camcorder – NEW and Available for Pre-order at Adorama - September 13, 2018