Tho the article does not specifically mention which Panasonic camera – declaring it will be the GH5 is again a guess. And the speculation is this will be announced at Photokina
Of course, at this point it is pure speculation, but interesting none the less. This would be potentially the first low cost 6k video camera on the market. The only other ones I'm aware of are REDs.
Now there's not a lot of information here, and using Google translate can be a challenge, but it does appear that the speculation is 6k video.
Would that make you switch to Panasonic?
The other statement is that the 4k video would be up to 60fps as well. If I read the google translation correctly, this page suggests 120fps 4k in a second version? “Another model corresponds to the same four times the 4K video, improve the continuous shooting speed to twice the 60 frames per second and the current machine.”
Is this escalating into another megapixel race? I know Japan has adopted 4k video much faster than the rest of the world because they have the internet bandwidth/pipes to handle it, but delivery sure isn't available yet for 4k on most of the planet.
I also remember hearing that Panasonic wanted to have 8k delivery ready for the 2020 olympics. So this would be a great step in that direction.
It does make you think doesn't it? What are your thoughts?Google translation of the Digicame-info post (which sources the nikkan.co.jp):
[source: 43rumors via digicame-info]
Panasonic 6K30fps during the 2016 fiscal year, the 4K60fps correspondence of mirror-less camera is turned on
The Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, information about the Panasonic consumer 6K corresponding mirror-less camera has been published.
- Panasonic during the 2016 fiscal year, the resolution is a to-market a total of two models of the new mirror-less single-lens camera which gave such as the ability to shoot nine times 6K videos of full high-definition. 6K video corresponding machine is the industry's first in consumer cameras.
- Current machine cut out the moment of the still image from 4K shooting video of 30 frames per second, but in the new model high-definition, increase the performance in terms of high-speed continuous shooting. While the digital camera market is shrinking, mirror-less is to maintain the growth, further extended in the new.
- 6K video compatible models shooting a smooth video of 30 frames per second.Additionally high-definition image of about 18 million pixels in cutting out the still image is obtained. Another model corresponds to the same four times the 4K video, improve the continuous shooting speed to twice the 60 frames per second and the current machine.
(cover photo credit: snap from camera-news.ru)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Free Soloing El Capitan – A bit about how they filmed it - February 18, 2019
- Camera & Flask – Great Filmmaking Podcast - February 18, 2019
- Boycott the Oscars ** UPDATED – We Won - February 15, 2019