We wrote recently about Schneider-Kreuznach’s plan to bring its full frame Xenon cine prime lens line to Sony e-Mount, and I covered — albeit briefly — the iPro lens system [B&H | Amazon] in this article about Moondog Labs because the iPro is the only lens system for which Moondog makes their anamorphic adapter. I’ve also written about the iPro in my ebook Apple’s iPhone: The Next Video Revolution.
So we were eager to stop by the Schneider booth at PhotoPlus Expo, where we were fortunate to corral Schneier’s Niki Mustain to bring us up to date.
Related Story:Our review: Extra lenses for the iPhone? YES! The iPro Lens Kit planet5D review
Schneider iPro for iPhone (and a quick word on Xenon FF Cine Primes in Sony e-Mount)
1) They are sufficiently encouraged by the Apple 6 Plus and 6s Plus optical image stabilization system that for the first time they’re thinking about a 3x or even 4x addition to the iPro lens system (which yield full frame equivalent focal lengths of about 90mm and 120mm). This is a big deal, as the current 2x lens(the same limit for most auxiliary smartphone lenses) is really not a “telephoto” but instead a “long normal.”
2) The Sony e-Mount Xenon Cine Primes should begin shipping next month.
We’re excited to try both, as Schneider is a very highly regarded optics manufacturer and both the latest iPhone and Sony models are SMOKING hot. Especially with my brand new iPhone 6s Plus with 4K and optical image stabilization — and my soon-to-be-expanding Sony camera line-up — these optics are definitely on my radar.
Element Case IMAGE/iPRO Case and Lens System Preview
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
And always with the ambition of authenticity, humanity and wit.
Latest posts by Hugh Brownstone (see all)
- Download This Year’s Oscar Nominated Scripts for Free! - February 7, 2016
- Quick Impressions of Aputure’s New VS-1 FineHD - February 1, 2016
- iPhone to “crush” DSLRs? Dual Camera iPhone 7 Plus Could Offer ‘DSLR-Like' Quality, 3D Depth Mapping - January 29, 2016