Our counterparts over at ePHOTOzine have reported on Canon’s release of firmware updates for moviemaker favorite the 5D Mark III and stills professional’s much-loved 1D X. Both updates improve autofocus control in Live View mode when using wide angle lenses.
Owners of recently purchased 5D Mark IIIs may need to forgo this update iff they wish to use Magic Lantern as it relies on firmware version 1.2.3 to add its many very necessary moviemaking features to the camera. Version 1.2.3 is the latest supported by Magic Lantern.
Some new Canon 5D Mark III owners have reported problems downgrading from version 1.3.3 to version 1.2.3 and are wondering whether some kind of downgrade block is now in operation. Our best recommendation is to visit the Magic Lantern user forum for further research.
An initial search of the forum reveals a relevant discussion at this topic:
Firmware version 2.0.7 for the 1D X also contains 6 bug fixes for various phenomena, as Canon’s notes describe them, as well as incorrect indications and Picture Style Auto setting reliability. [bctt tweet=”Updates to 5D3 and 1Dx firmware, but Magic Lantern users be ware!”]
Canon EOS 1D X and 5D Mark III Firmware Updates Announced
The updates improve autofocus control in Live View mode when wide angle lenses are used among other things, listed below for each camera:
- Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, when shooting long exposures (several minutes), vertical lines appear on the right edge of captured images (still photos).
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) may not perform as intended when in continuous shooting mode and where the shutter speed is longer than 1 second.
- Improves the reliability of the control mechanism for the Picture Style Auto setting.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the electronic level indicator does not work correctly.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, when using the “Save and read camera settings” function, the color space data that is selected in “Custom shooting mode (C1-C3)” is not saved. *1
- Corrects some incorrect indications on the “English” and “Russian” menu screens.
*As a result of this fix, cameras with Firmware Version 2.0.7 will not be able to read the “camera settings file” created with cameras running Firmware Version 2.0.3 (or earlier). If you require the “camera settings file”, please create it after updating to firmware version 2.0.7.
Read full article at ePHOTOzine “Canon EOS 1D X and 5D Mark III Firmware Updates Announced”
|Note: it is our policy to give credit as well as deserved traffic to our news sources – so we don't repost the entire article – sorry, I know you want the juicy bits, but I feel it is only fair that their site get the traffic and besides, you just might make a new friend and find an advertiser that has something you've never seen before|
(cover photo credit: snap from ePHOTOzine)