Panasonic has finally released the Lumix GH4 update originally scheduled for mid-December 2014 and it is great news for cinematographers using HDMI output from their GH4 cameras and from YAGH units to the Atomos Shogun recorder with 7-inch monitor.
For the rest of us, not so much, though playback of recorded 4K has been improved and a problem with commencing recording of time lapse shots during summer time has been fixed. Those of us hankering for V-Log and hopefully V-Gamut to appear on the GH4 will need to remain hopeful for a bit longer.
What are V-Log and V-Gamut?
I have yet to find a comprehensive description of the features and benefits of the V-Log profile and the V-Gamut color space so I put together what little I could find out or deduce in an article at planet5D late November last year – Panasonic Lumix GH4 Firmware Update for December Confirmed – Will It Include V-Log?
If readers have come across better descriptions please share them in the comments below.
Meanwhile I suggest taking a look at the video provided by News Shooter’s Matt Allard at Inter Bee 2014: Panasonic Gh4 V-Log Picture Profile Spotted in the Wild (Updated) for how V-Log looks on the GH4’s monitor.
The firmware updates for the GH4 camera body and the YAGH unit are at this page:
Some Lens Firmware Updates Too
While you are downloading firmware update 2.1, you may wish to also check out the lens firmware updates. Updated firmware for the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom lens was released on January 21 while firmware for the Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens was made available on January 15.
The latter update can be found on this page:Great news for GH4, Atomos and YAGH users with firmware version 2.1! Click To Tweet
Panasonic releases the new big GH4 and YAGH firmware update!
Panasonic finally released the new 2.1 firmware update for the GH4 and the new 1.1 firmware update for the YAGH interface unit. You can download it here: av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html
1. Time code can be embedded to the HDMI output signal.
– Selectable in Motion Picture menu : [Time Code]>[HDMI Time Code Output] * Available when DMC-GH4 or DMW-YAGH are connected with the products of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd. or the products complying with the extended specifications of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd..
2. RSS (Recording Start/Stop) signal can be embedded to the HDMI output signal.
– Selectable in Motion Picture menu : [HDMI Rec Output]>[HDMI Recording Control] * Available when DMC-GH4 or DMW-YAGH are connected with the products of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd. or the products complying with the extended specifications of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd..
3. FHD at 30p/25p native output via HDMI is available while recording video in FHD at 30p/25p.
– Selectable in Motion Picture menu : [HDMI Rec Output]>[1080/30p Set.] or [1080/25p Set.]
4. Playback performance of recorded 4K video is improved.
5. [Time Lapse Shot] Program is fixed to start recording at the designated time even when [summer time] is set.
Read full article at 43Rumors “Panasonic releases the new big GH4 and YAGH firmware update!”
|Note: it is our policy to give credit as well as deserved traffic to our news sources – so we don't repost the entire article – sorry, I know you want the juicy bits, but I feel it is only fair that their site get the traffic and besides, you just might make a new friend and find an advertiser that has something you've never seen before|
(cover photo credit: snap from 43Rumors)
Latest posts by Karin Gottschalk (see all)
- MindShift Gear UltraLight Dual 25L: The Versatile & Convertible Camera Daypack for Little & Larger Photo & Video Assignments - February 17, 2016
- Is Raw Video Magic? Stu Maschwitz has the answer - February 3, 2016
- This Short Movie by Bryan Harvey For Fujifilm’s X-Pro2 About His Dad, David Alan Harvey, Communicates What Using An Optical Viewfinder Camera Is All About. I Want More. - February 3, 2016