Taking up about the same space as a GoPro, Lume Cube mashes up the GoPro ethos with state of the art LEDs, Pocket Wizard-style control via Bluetooth and a smartphone app – and the ability to function as either continuous lighting for video or flash for stills.
The trans-Pacific brainchild of the guys at Think-Eleven in San Diego, CA and IC12 in Melbourne, Australia, the Lume Cube packs a pretty compelling bit of lighting into a weather resistant (underwater housing optional) 1.5” cube that will work with just about any camera – traditional, GoPro or smartphone – out there.
They’re already well over their goal of $56,000 ($89,0126 at the time of this writing), and with a pledge of as little as $59 you can become an early adopter of a single Lume Cube.
The really interesting things, though, occur when you multiply the little guys: a pair will give you a lot of light up close, and up to five can be controlled wirelessly.
Estimated delivery date is February, 2015.
Control & Adjust Light From Your Smartphone
You can sync up to 5 Lume Cubes to your iPhone or Android smartphone using a simple Bluetooth-powered app. The app allows you to adjust the brightness and duration of lighting to capture the perfect shot long after the sun goes down.
Designed To Capture The Night
- Take It Anywhere: 1.5” Cube Encased in Water Resistant Silicone Shell
- Take Command: Fully Adjustable Flash Duration & Brightness via Smartphone App
- Sync It Up: Bluetooth Sync w/ iPhone and Android Smartphones
- Master Two Modes: External Flash for Photos or Constant
Light for Video
- Light An Entire Scene: Sync up to 5 Lume Cubes Individually via
- Smartphone App
- Adjust Brightness: Dimmable Between 0–1,500 lumens
- Mount to Most Surfaces: Powerful Magnet & Innovative Suction Cup
- Direct Your Focus: Tripod Designed by JOBY® Points Light Where It’s Needed
- Lock It Down: ¼ 20 Mount Attaches to Tripods & Action Cam Accessories
- Sync A Slave Flash: Optical Sensor Easily Detects & Triggers w/ Outside Flashes
- Color Temperature: 5600 K
- Shoot Continuously: No Recycle Time Between Flashes
- Power Through: ~2-Hour Battery Life @ 50% power & 1-Hour Charge Time w/ USB Charger
- Light Entire Scenes: Available in Single Unit, 2-Pack or 6-Pack in a Variety of Colors
- Enhance Your GoPro®: Proprietary Mount & Waterproof Case Designed for GoPro® Hero Cameras
Why Did We Make Lume Cube?
All great photography has one thing in common: exceptional lighting. iPhone, Android and GoPro® have done a brilliant job of making photography and videography more accessible, but they’re limited by low-light and nighttime scenarios.
We thought, “Why can’t we use these devices as we would our professional camera equipment?” We wanted to make a miniature light that would be the most powerful, versatile and useful the world has ever seen. Thus the Lume Cube was born.
Learn more by visiting the Lume Cube Kickstarter Page
(cover photo credit: snap from Kickstarter)