Rycote has twice reinvented that staple of professional audio recoding, the microphone windshield, this year and has just released its latest windshield reinvention, the Cyclone. On being unveiled at IBC 2014 easily in September, the Cyclone won Best Audio Product award and I suspect the win was a walkover.
Both product ranges rely on a new material – 3D-Tex™ – and a new way of looking at windshield's external form – no straight or parallel surfaces. As a result the company that introduced the first conventional windshield over two generations ago has consigned dead cats and dead kittens to the realm of roadkill and externally plastic-caged blimps to the heavens.
Rycote Cyclone Features at a glance
- Radical new design and shape delivers a new pinnacle in audio transparency, wind noise and handling noise isolation.
- Lightweight, durable construction, designed with materials to withstand extreme field conditions.
- Featuring 3D-Tex® delivering massive wind noise reduction without needing additional fur coverings.
- Basket Z-Locking design, with magnetic locking, provides instant, one-hand microphone access with automatic, self-aligning basket reassembly.
- Swivel latches provide additional basket security for extreme environments and run-and-gun applications
- Increased acoustic transparency, and no parallel surfaces to minimise room-tones, provides a clean frequency response.
- All-new, patented Floating-Basket Suspension with Lyre technology for reduction of windshield basket handling noise.
- Industry-leading Lyre Microphone Suspension with Universal Lyre webs (19-25mm) includes spares.
- Supplied with ultra-soft, flexible Mogami cable, fitted with gold pin Neutrik XX-series XLR connectors.
- Output male XLR locked in angled position on lightweight boom adaptor, allowing internal or external pole cables and plug-on transmitters to be attached securely.
- Compatible with optional Cyclone Windjammer for extreme wind isolation performance.
Innovation in Every Detail
The Cyclone is the result of more than a decade of continuous development. Our design and engineering teams have focused on each component to build an all-new windshield system from the ground up. Everything has been considered, nothing overlooked because to design a windshield system this advanced, everything counts. Alone, every one of these advancements is a performance breakthrough. Together, they are the Cyclone, the world’s most advanced microphone windshield and shock-mount system.
Acoustic transparency & room-tone effect
When we designed the Cyclone, we started with a blank canvas. That gave us complete freedom to imagine something radical, something entirely different from anything that’s been dreamed of before. Picture a windshield that combines superb acoustic transparency with an equal effectiveness in protecting against wind noise. A windshield with an open shell structure, curved contours and no straight or parallel surfaces. Thus reducing the room-tone effects that characterise conventional tubular designs. A windshield designed for the future, but ready to use today.
Learn more about the Rycote Cyclone HERE.
Rycote Cyclone Demo
(cover photo credit: snap from Rycote)
Latest posts by Karin Gottschalk (see all)
- MindShift Gear UltraLight Dual 25L: The Versatile & Convertible Camera Daypack for Little & Larger Photo & Video Assignments - February 17, 2016
- Is Raw Video Magic? Stu Maschwitz has the answer - February 3, 2016
- This Short Movie by Bryan Harvey For Fujifilm’s X-Pro2 About His Dad, David Alan Harvey, Communicates What Using An Optical Viewfinder Camera Is All About. I Want More. - February 3, 2016