Borne of his doctor’s recommendation to stop using the Glidecam to recover from wrist stress, Renso Gomez decided instead to design a simple but clever add-on called the Eroz X1 –now on Kickstarter and already oversubscribed with 29 days still to go.
If you’ve ever used a Glidecam, I bet you’ve experienced it: the quickly fatiguing wrist that comes from asking it to do too much. This is primarily a function of the stabilizer’s center of gravity being offset relative to the wrist (this is not unique to Glidecam – it's pretty much the same thing for any stabilizer of similar design).
Renso Gomez, a filmmaker and Glidecam operator, got to the point where he could no longer shoot with the Glidecam. He saw an opportunity to solve the problem relatively inexpensively (compared to a vest and arm) by creating a second handle to spread the load, and now has a Kickstarter project to fund it.
Anticipated price is $185 with free shipping inside the U.S., but early bird backers can get it for $165 (the first round of VIP backer pledges at $150 are sold out).
You can visit the project here.
The Eroz X1: New Steady Support for Glidecam
The Eroz X1 support was created as a tool to give more stability and comfort, allowing longer cinematic shots never before possible with a handheld Glidecam stabilizer.
The Eroz X1 unique grip with wrist support is one of the key components that makes us feel less weight and comfort when the device is attached to the Glidecam.
Eroz X1 Test Video
- It's ultra light weight (6.5 oz/180 g)
- Very compact size (6″x5″) with the fastest set up(seconds)
- Compatible with Glidecam series (Glidecam 2000 Pro, Glidecam 4000 Pro, Glidecam HD-1000, Glidecam HD-2000, Glidecam HD-4000 and XR-2000, XR-4000.)
- Complete control with comfort while shooting
- More stability during movement for dynamic camera shots
- Improve a floating moving image appearance
- It is collapsible, can be stored easily and assembled quickly.
- Easier Tilt up and down operation
- Carrying Capacity up to 8 lbs
- The Eroz X1 is ergonomic and provides anti-fatigue support
- Easy to use affordable stabilizer support.
- Super smooth footage with full control of your stabilizer without electronic parts
- 100% designed and assembled in the USA.
- Patent pending
The benefits of using this incredible tool are huge compared to any other stabilizer support:
– You will no longer be permanently attached to your stabilizer while in use.
– At the end of the day of you will feel fortified instead of been painfully tired.
See full product features and specifications in the Eroz X1 Kickstarter Campaign page
(cover photo credit: snap from Kickstarter)
And always with the ambition of authenticity, humanity and wit.
Latest posts by Hugh Brownstone (see all)
- Top 10 Things to Know About Magic Lantern Hack for Canon DSLRs - February 2, 2018
- Download This Year’s Oscar Nominated Scripts for Free! - February 7, 2016
- Quick Impressions of Aputure’s New VS-1 FineHD - February 1, 2016