Hollywood-based camera rental house 27 Notch has launched an Kickstarter campaign for its new articulated arm, the Infinity Arm. Based on the data and the videos, this looks like the strongest articulated arm yet.
Camera and lighting grips and supports are the sort of things you don't often notice until they fail. And when they do fail, it can be spectacular, taking down cameras, lenses, lights, props and sometimes cast and crew. The result can be more than costly, damaging your pocketbook and your reputation.
The Infinity Arm looks like it won't fail you nor wreak that sort of havoc. 27 Notch's Kickstarter page contains footage of the arm safely supporting a RED Epic equipped with a typically heavy lens.
Another video shows the failure of two popular articulated arms to hold up the same RED Epic minus lens.
The third video is the clincher, featuring a globetrotting, female travel documentary camera assistant voicing her experience-based opinion about the Infinity Arm. Like her I need to carry all my gear on my back and need versatile, reliable equipment. I am prepared to spend more on items that will work well, last long and not fail me in the field.
Kudos to 27 Notch by the way for featuring a female moviemaker in their campaign, helping break the Hollywood boy's club stereotype even if it is amply supported by reality.
Another plus point is unique to the Infinity Arm amongst all such products – interchangeable tips. There are currently three of them – a 1/4″20, one for the Go Pro and a cold shoe tip. I am not in the market for an articulated cine arm right now – though I am planning a major re-equip project soon. If I need to include an articulated arm then this looks like the one for me.
Infinity Arm for GoPro, DSLR, and Professional Cameras
The Infinity Arm is a versatile camera support cine arm with interchangeable mounts including universal 1/4″-20 and GoPro tips.
Infinity Arm is a versatile support for cameras, lights, monitors and anything else you can think of. The Infinity Arm is a fully articulated arm equipped with 360° rotatable and interchangeable ends that are attached with a quick release to add and remove accessories. The Infinity Arm is the strongest articulating arm on the market. In a nutshell, we think Infinity Arm is the most thoughtfully designed arm ever created.
What is Infinity Arm?
Infinity Arm Weight Test
Infinity Arm Testimonial
Infinity Arm is:
- Equipped with a rosette on each arm for maximum holding strength.
- No loose parts, meaning just two arms and one knob; all bearings and ramps are internal – so no worries of losing any small parts.
- Allows for quick changes with a push button to release each tip from the arm, saving you the time to unscrew it.
- Mounting options include 1/4″-20 male, cold shoe and GoPro mount. (Future mounts will include: custom clamp, 3/8″, baby pin, female 1/4″-20 and 3/8″ with more to come)
- Made of high grade aluminum and steel for strength and light weight.
- Quickly customizable and adjustable. It can attach to multiple places quickly for a wide variety of jobs.
- Current prototype total arm length without tips is 8 1/2″ Strong enough to hold any pro camera, light, accessory and photo combo. CNC machined and anodized for durable long life operation.
Check out the Infinity Arm Kickstarter Campaign
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
Latest posts by Karin Gottschalk (see all)
- MindShift Gear UltraLight Dual 25L: The Versatile & Convertible Camera Daypack for Little & Larger Photo & Video Assignments - February 17, 2016
- Is Raw Video Magic? Stu Maschwitz has the answer - February 3, 2016
- This Short Movie by Bryan Harvey For Fujifilm’s X-Pro2 About His Dad, David Alan Harvey, Communicates What Using An Optical Viewfinder Camera Is All About. I Want More. - February 3, 2016