Remember “too big to fail”? How about: “too big to innovate”? Or maybe “too big to give customers what they want”?
Wow. If the EOS Canon 7D Mark II specs posted over on Canon Rumors are accurate just two weeks before Photokina, we’re in for one big yawn.
Unless, of course the list is wrong, or the list doesn’t hint at the power of what’s on it, specifically around the sensor, autofocus, and processors.
It’s possible, I guess.
Remarkably absent from the specifications list (to name just a few):
- focus peaking
- clean HDMI out
Just think about it.
- Headphone jack
- Slightly higher frame rate
- Sync time across the same body
- Electronic manual focus
- No touch screen
- No swivel screen
See what I mean? But add 4K, and maybe that's a different story.
Yes, Canon bodies have lovely ergonomics and straightforward menus.
But no, at the rate the market is moving, that’s no longer enough. It looks like Canon is giving its customers what Canon wants, not its customers want.
I'm hoping I'm wrong.
A Rundown of Canon at Photokina
Via Canon Rumors:
Photokina is only 13 days away, and a lot of companies are already announcing their goods for the show. Canon will be announcing a new DSLR, some new lenses and a few PowerShot cameras. We have conflicting reports of when these announcements are being made. We were initially told that the NDA’s expired on September 5, 2014 in Europe. However, a good source tells us they don’t expect to see the EOS 7D Mark II announced until midnight on September 15, 2014, which is a day before Photokina begins. If anyone can shed light as to when the announcements are, please let us know.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications
Below is the expected specs of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, we haven’t had anything to say that these are not the real deal. There could still be some surprises, especially around the sensor.
- Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS (no STM)
- CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I
- GPS is in the camera
- No WiFi
- Fixed LCD, with no touch function.
- 20.2MP APS-C Sensor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
- 65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.
- f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.
- ISO 100-12800, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200
- 1080p/720p both get 60fps
- Servo AF for video shooting.
- Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).
- Spot metering size 1.8%
- Built-in flash
- Mic and headphones connectors
- Can sync time between 7D II cameras.
- Lens electronic MF
- About 100% coverage OVF
- New Battery – LP-E6N
- New Battery Grip BG-E16
- New Lenses
Read full article at Canon Rumors “A Rundown of Canon at Photokina”
|Note: it is our policy to give credit as well as deserved traffic to our news sources – so we don't repost the entire article – sorry, I know you want the juicy bits, but I feel it is only fair that their site get the traffic and besides, you just might make a new friend and find an advertiser that has something you've never seen before|
(cover photo credit: snap from Canon Rumors)
And always with the ambition of authenticity, humanity and wit.
Latest posts by Hugh Brownstone (see all)
- Top 10 Things to Know About Magic Lantern Hack for Canon DSLRs - February 2, 2018
- Download This Year’s Oscar Nominated Scripts for Free! - February 7, 2016
- Quick Impressions of Aputure’s New VS-1 FineHD - February 1, 2016