The short review: if you’re looking for a simple inexpensive focus assist for your DSLR (this works for photographers too!), this one is almost perfect for your needs. It adjusts to just about any size lens
The additional focus points in the kit are extremely useful – tho they may not always be firm enough for blind focusing (one man band skills) but if you make sure they’re as tight as you can get them, you’ll be glad they’re there.
Ultra-Simple Follow Focus Review
More from DSLRsolutions
Ultra-Simple Follow Focus Key Benefits:
– One size fits the Focus and Zoom rings of nearly every lens on the market.
– Entire kit weighs under 2 ounces.
– Priced under $50
– No rail or cage system required
– Easily hit and repeat several focus points during multiple takes when filming complex scenes.
– Not just for DSLR Cameras. Fits equally well on cinema camera lenses and mirrorless camera lenses.
– Not just for focus rings. The new design works great on zoom rings as well.
– Made in U.S.A.
As we’ve shown you before, there are several similar products on the market, but frankly, this is in the top of the bunch.
All of the benefits listed above are true. Especially nice not having to mount up an entire rail system and attach a follow focus to it when needed. I use these all the time when working as a 1 man band… it just makes focusing from behind the camera so much easier.
Pros and Cons!
- Simple to use
- fits many lenses (fits lens diameters: 1-1/2″ (38mm) to 4-1/2″ (114mm))
- very easy to attach and grips firmly
- New design is very flexible compared to previous design
- No rubber parts that my cats would love to chew on so they ignore it!
Cons – mainly things to be aware of:
- Focus markers are much better than previous version, but can still wobble a bit
- Markers can be used as hard stops – best to turn them 90 degrees for more stability
- Markers only available in the kit
- Some possibility of slippage if you don’t get the strap tight enough
- Won’t fit some smaller lenses like the Canon 40mm pancake (which is likely true of all the other products in this market)
As I said above, a very good product for those looking for something simple, easy to use, and inexpensive.
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)