Clint Milby over at HDSLRshooter.com was able to interview the incredibly knowledgable Rich Schleuning from Zeiss (Rich has an amazing amount of knowledge about lenses – he’s not just a pretty face for the camera!).
They chat about the new Otus 1.4/55 lens that is mainly designed for photographers, but certainly can be used for video – tho as Rich points out, this is just the first lens in a new series so if you’re wanting matched lenses for your video shoot, you’ll need to wait about 2 years before they have 3 lenses in the line to work with.
While priced at $3,999 it will be out of the reach of some, if you’re looking for an amazing lens, this may need to be added to your Christmas list.
There are some sample images on this review from PCMag showing that this lens has some great bokeh and I can’t see a single bit of chromatic aberration that plagues so many lenses (and was always a huge pain when submitting images to istock as stock images as their reviewers would always kill anything that had any color issues).
Entertainment Technology Expo 2013: Otus 1.4/55 From Carl Zeiss
From HDSLR Shooter:
The entire point of the Otus was to make the very best lens Zeiss could possibly make, and they believe they’ve done it. Why is this important news for those of us shooting video with DSLR? In our interview, which you’ll find below, Schleuning explains although this is a still lens, it represents the future of video lenses from Zeiss.
From the Carl Zeiss website:
The aspherical lens design ensures consistent imaging performance throughout the entire focusing range as well as sharpness to the periphery of the image. The asphere’s more complex surface profile can reduce or eliminate spherical aberration and also reduce other optical aberrations compared to a simple lens.
Medium format performance
• The quality and performance of medium format systems – even at the highest apertures
• Consistently high resolution and contrast over the entire image frame – even into the corners
• No chromatic aberration, no distortion
•The highest precision and build quality
• Highly precise mechanical build quality and a large rotation angle of 248° for exact work
• Robust all-metal construction
• Grippy focus ring for the finest of manual focus adjustments For professional demands
• Elaborate optical corrections make for substantially less time spent in image processing and in post-production
• Innovative product design for the best usability and the highest aesthetic standards ZEISS Otus lens comes standard with a matching lens shade.
Also, check out PCMAg's Article “Hands On With the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Lens”
(cover photo credit: snap from HDSLR Shooter)