StumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedIn

A few weeks ago, planet5D was sent a significant update from A1ex over at Magic Lantern announcing 14 stops of dynamic range for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Canon EOS 7D – and at the time, he didn’t think there was any chance that other cameras might get the same excitement… well, over the weekend things changed with these two tweets — now the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Canon EOS 6D appear to get the same incredible dynamic range!


 

From the Magic Lantern thread:

Translation: at that time I knew how to program the cameras with 8-channel readout (because it was obvious) and I had no idea how to program the others, or whether they will work or not. Now I’ve discovered the missing bit from 5D2 and it works.

If you don’t remember how impressive this is, then check out this sample that was uploaded right after the 5D3 Magic Lantern update was announced.

the Canon EOS 6D?

and just recently:

Dual ISO

If you don’t want to dive too far into the Magic Lantern thread, here are the significant bits from the Magic Lantern thread:

« Reply #532 on: August 09, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »

I think I’ve got it working on 5D2: bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/b3999097eed7Also, since the experimental converter handles almost all cases better than the old one, I’ve updated the converter from the first post (so cr2hdr.exe now has the latest algorithms).

batca.dragos « Reply #533 on: August 09, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »

So does the 5D2 have a 8-channel readout after all a1ex ?

a1ex « Reply #534 on: August 09, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »

It doesn’t need an 8-channel readout, but two separate analog amplifiers. The paper says:
Quote

Unfortunately, most other Canon cameras follow a different pattern for the CMOS #0 register,
without any obviously duplicate fields.

We can now speculate that cameras with 8-channel readout have two separate amplifier circuits,
and you can program the ISO for each one separately.

Translation: at that time I knew how to program the cameras with 8-channel readout (because it was obvious) and I had no idea how to program the others, or whether they will work or not. Now I’ve discovered the missing bit from 5D2 and it works.

I still have no idea about the other cameras. I’d say the 6D has 99% chances to work, since 1% almost got it working, but I did not check the new trick on any other camera. Follow the ADTG thread and give it a try.

via Dual ISO – massive dynamic range improvement for 5D3 and 7D.

Great news right?

This is great news — however remember that this is all still incredibly early and it isn’t included in any shipping production version of Magic Lantern. You can find it in the nightly builds and if you’re tech savvy, you can compile it and have it on your camera, but remember too that this is all very new code and could include bugs and probably shouldn’t be used on important production work!

(cover photo credit: snap from the Magic Lantern site)