The Zoom H4n has been a long time standard for capturing external audio when recording DSLR video – but now, the Zoom team has just announced the Zoom H6! This could take the audio recording market to a whole new level.
World’s first six-track portable recorder, featuring a revolutionary system of interchangeable input capsules
There are two versions of the intro video (they are different starting about 1:20 in)
- Zoom H6 — list price is $399
- Zoom EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo Input Capsule for H6 Recorder
- Zoom H6 Accessory Pack
- Zoom SGH-6 Shotgun Microphone Capsule for H6 Recorder
The important features:
- Six tracks of simultaneous recording
- Four interchangeable input capsules: stereo X/Y (included), Mid-Side (included), Shotgun (optional) & combo dual XLR/TRS (optional).
- Large full-color display for easy viewing of recording and playback levels
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128 gigabytes
- Compatible with MP3 and BWF-compliant WAV file formats, including 24-bit / 96k for ultimate HD audio
- Four XLR/TRS combo jacks to connect external microphones or line-level devices each with their own gain control, pad switch AND phantom power in three different voltages
- USB port for data transfer to audio editing software and allows for H6 to serve as multichannel audio interface for computer and tablets
- Connects to DSLR or digital camcorder
- Runs on 4 AA batteries for up to 20 hours.
Ronkonkoma, New York: June 14, 2013 — Zoom North America has announced the release of the all-new H6 Handy Recorder.
The H6 is the most advanced portable recorder ever introduced. It offers six tracks of simultaneous recording and employs an innovative system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lenses of a camera. Four capsules are available: stereo X/Y and MS (Mid-Side), both included with the H6, and Shotgun and dual XLR/TRS combo capsules, available as options.
The H6 can be attached to a camera strap or mounted directly to a DSLR or camcorder, and its large full-color display makes it easy to view recording and playback levels even in low-light environments. It records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128 gigabytes in a variety of MP3 and BWF-compliant WAV file formats, including 24-bit / 96k for the ultimate in high-definition audio. Four XLR/TRS combo jacks enable the connection of external microphones or line-level devices. Each input has its own dedicated gain control and pad switch, as well as phantom power in three different voltages.
Other features include a stereo Line Out for connection to camcorders; a headphone jack and built-in speaker; onboard effects, metronome and chromatic tuner; adjustable playback speed and pitch correction; and Pre-record, Auto-record and Backup-record functions. A USB port enables data transfer to and from audio editing software and allows the H6 to serve as a multichannel audio interface for computers and tablets.
“The H6 will provide users with a totally new level of performance and possibilities,” said Scott Hagen, Vice President of Sales and Strategic Planning for Zoom North America. “We believe it’s poised to become a legacy recorder that will stand the test of time.”
The Zoom H6 will be available in stores July 2013.
About Zoom North America:
Zoom North America is the recently formed U.S. affiliate for new products manufactured by Zoom Corporation (Japan). The company prides itself on offering its customers the very highest level of service and support. Their first product is the H6 Handy Recorder.
For more information, please visit www.zoom-na.com.
I’m certainly looking forward to getting my hands on one of these!
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- How They Really Used DSLRs and Redrock Rigs on Mad Max: Fury Road - June 20, 2015
- The greatest team photo ever hits home run and goes viral! Must see! - June 14, 2015
- JOIN 52,000 Filmmakers at this FREE Online Cinematography Event - June 11, 2015