As we keep saying, the fanatics (and I say in the kindest form of flattery) at Magic Lantern are working on a possibility – writing straight to SSD via the CF card interface… they haven’t made it work yet, but it is something that could be possible.
It also takes things beyond just the firmware hack of Magic Lantern into an additional hardware hack – which could potentially make things even more risky… maybe there’s a bigger chance of doing damage to your camera?
After searching for days I’ve found a promising adapter (pdf datasheet FB4658 VER:1.1) that could work with a special SSD that has an IDE/ATA port already integrated. This adapter is sold in germany through the company ES&S Solutions GmbH. I’ve asked them already and Im waiting for a response. The SSD is an OWC Legacy Pro SSD 2.5“ IDE/ATA and they claim on their page it’s very fast with Read: 285 MB/s / Write: 275MB/s. It is available in sizes from 60GB – 480GB.
In theory this would be fantastic because the CF controller inside the 5D Mark III maxes out at 167 MB/s and this will be sufficient to capture the RAW video data even at higher resolutions than FullHD. I still don’t know if this whole concept will work and also if the adapter pins support UDMA. These CF to IDE adapters are used in embedded PC systems. So if someone has such an adapter please try it out and let me know. Btw. this IDE/ATA SSD needs of course external power.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III RAW video to SSD
Note, here’s an image of what they’re working on… (again from Schweinert.com)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III can record super high quality 14bit RAW video! This is so AMAZING! I can’t believe it. I knew it all the time that Canon, Sony, Panasonic and other companies are playing games on us by crippling their products intentionally to gain more profit.
Now that Magic Lantern team made the impossible possible (Thank you guys! You’re amazing!) getting super high quality RAW Video from a Canon 5D Mark III we need to find a way to store that huge amount of data. It works with 1000x CF cards but there are still dropouts. Trying to store the data directly to an OWC Mercury SSD bypassing the CF card. When faster cards are available this bulky setup will be obsolete anyway. Still not done yet.
— UPDATE —
Need more info about the electronics in this camera. Please contact me if you have the Canon 5D Mark III Service Manual
What do you think?
The past 2+ weeks have been pretty amazing! Just look at this coverage we’ve had!
- Largest collection of Magic Lantern RAW HDSLR video on the planet
- Largest collection of Magic Lantern RAW HDSLR video on the planet part II
- Largest collection of Magic Lantern RAW HDSLR video on the planet part III
- Magic Lantern code – how has it changed over time? Well, in short, a LOT!
- Is it possible to record RAW video straight to SSD with Magic Lantern? CF to SSD?
- Luke Neumann on Magic Lantern Canon 5D Mark III RAW video
- More Magic Lantern magic – the video “zoom” feature
- Magic Lantern Canon EOS 5D Mark III RAW video vs Blackmagic Cinema Camera!
- First Magic Lantern RAW video short shot on Canon EOS 5D Mark III released
- Updates on the RAW video progress from Magic Lantern for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- RAW 24fps DNG video hits the Canon EOS 5D Mark III via Magic Lantern!
- Magic Lantern RAW video for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III comes to the mac & OSX
- Magic Lantern Raw Video Test – H.264 vs. Hacked GH2 vs. 5D3 Raw Video
(cover photo credit: snap from the working project)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- First camera to shoot 4 million ISO! Canon’s ME20F-SH to be low light king - July 30, 2015
- Panasonic Fz300, Lumenati CS1, Camera Goat, and More on DSLR FILM NOOB Podcast - July 28, 2015
- Win a DitoGear™ Spinn360 on planet5D! - July 23, 2015