A couple of weeks ago, we were pleased to announce the Canon EOS 7D had been hacked and the Magic Lantern sofware was finally running on a 7D (HOT UPDATE: Magic Lantern team has cracked the Canon EOS 7D? YES!) – now, the good folks at Magic Lantern have released their first “alpha” version for you to possibly try out. Of course, it doesn't have all the Magic Lantern features, but if you've been dying for the Magic Lantern hack on your 7D, you can now give it a try!
Here's a demo:
first Magic Lantern release for the 7D is here!
from Magic Lantern team:
It is still an early alpha version, so here are a few things you should know:
- it was primarily tested on one 7D, and a few days on three other 7D's;
- during those tests we took 1000 photos and gigabytes of videos;
- there were no crashes or strange behaviors during our tests;
- this release will not alter any data in your camera's permanent memory;
- this release will not directly alter any so-called “properties” (persistent camera settings);
- this means, some functions like HDR photos, HDR videos, bulb ramping etc will not work yet;
- it is not a firmware upgrade, despite the camera saying “Firmware update program”;
- we have disabled all features that are not yet working perfectly;
- please don't beg for adding feature XYZ, it will be added as soon as it works without issues.
- If anything goes wrong, we don't pay for repairs. Use Magic Lantern at your own risk!
- Audio meters while recording
- Focus peaking
- Magic Zooom (via half-shutter, or focus ring)
- Cropmarks, Ghost image
- False color
- Histogram, Waveform
- Movie logging
- Movie auto stop
- Trap focus
- LiveView settings (brightness, contrast…)
- Level indicator
- Image review tweaks (quick zoom)
- and a lot more
- When using trap focus, opening card door won't shut down the camera. Simply power off using power switch.
- Formatting the card will also remove Magic Lantern files.
- You have to reload Magic Lantern every time you use it.
(cover photo credit: snap from the ML site)