Rumor roundup – the Canon EOS 6D and Panasonic GH3 are on the horizon… We have had a boat load of new cameras announced in the last week but yet, there are still two biggies on the horizon. The Canon EOS 6D and the Panasonic GH3 are still to come. Heck, I haven't even had time to post all of the new cameras announced, but I felt it was important that you know about these two new potentially hot cameras.
Canon EOS 6D
Canonrumors and others are reporting this spec list:
- A new 20mp sensor
- Full Frame
- ISO Range 100-25600
- APS-C Sized body
- SD Card
- Built-in Wifi & GPS
- 11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center.
- 3″ LCD
- Full HD (1920×1080)
- Available December 2012
- Price: $1999 USD Body Only (Speculated price)
Did you see that?
- Built-in Wifi & GPS
The other question not addressed in this list is whether the LCD is articulated and touch screen like the Canon Rebel T4i. This canonrumors.com post does suggest it is articulated, but doesn't mention multi-touch. Tho some of my sources say it will be touch screen – which is good news to me.
So where does that put this camera?
If the 20mp sensor is true, then that might also indicate there will still be moire involved – the 5D3 sensor was sized perfectly for video to almost eliminate moire and so we're left to wonder if they'd make this sensor smaller – sacrificing a bit of potential moire to keep the 5D3 as the king of the hill (and protect its price point).
Adding Wi-Fi and GPS makes you actually hopeful that Canon is going to do some incredible new things with cameras coming in the near future
Missing information on potential features like 60 frames per second or some kind of new slow motion (see the Panasonic GH3 announcement below) or our focus peaking or other magic lantern like enhancements
- 16 Megapixel “Wide dynamic range” CMOS Sensor.
- New Venus 7 engine
- electronic shutter
- ISO 100-12.800
- Fastest AF of any interchangeable lens system camera.
- Video Bitrate 50Mbps (72Mbps ALL-I)
- 30p/25p in MP4, MOV and AVCHD
- 3.5 Mic in
- built-in stereo mic
- Audio out
- Pc control
- Time Code
- 1740k OLED LVF, Touch Monitor OLED 610k.
- external battery grip
- Wifi with remote control through iOS and Android Applications
- external XLR accessory
- Focus Peaking
- Interval shooting and slow motion. Slow Movie extension (40%, 50%, 80%) Fast 160/ 200 / 300%
- Magnesium alloy body. Body is bigger than the Panasonic GH2.
Interesting things from this list include the Wi-Fi with external remote control, focus peaking, and external XLR input, and enhanced slow-motion options.
The price point is also potentially much lower than the 6D but this isn't a full frame camera. But then again the GH2 has gotten tons of accolades and they seem to be on the bleading edge of HDSLR technology.
What do you think?
There certainly have been a lot of cameras announced him last week plus adding these two new into the pile, I'm very curious to know what you guys think about where we stand in the HDSLR market. Sound off in the comments!
(cover photo credit: snap from the 43rumors site)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Disney and Redrock Micro Collaborate to Bring New Technologies to Market - March 16, 2018
- Panasonic EVA1 vs Canon C200 – Camera Shootout 2018 - March 13, 2018
- Photographer Accused of Stealing an Image Discovers That Both He and the Other Photographer Captured the Exact Millisecond in Time - March 8, 2018