This is pretty cool – Okii is the maker of the USB follow focus unit we reported on several months ago and now they have announced their Okii Systems MC1 USB Mini Controller – and we got a couple of them last week and they work just as advertised. It is a nice small unit that will let you start/stop video, take snaps, and change some common camera settings remotely (tho it isn't wireless) via USB.
Okii Systems MC1 USB Mini Controller
The Press Release
Apex, NC, November 21, 2011 – Okii Systems is pleased to announce the new MC1 USB Mini Controller. The MC1 is a wired USB remote designed for Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras with video capability. Similar to the EOS Utility on a computer, the MC1 uses Canon's USB protocol to allow control of a wide range of abilities, but without the limitations and bulk of being tethered to a computer. When mounted near a rig handle, it provides easy access to camera functions such as video start/stop, digital zoom, and settings changes. The use of USB rather than infrared insures reliable operation regardless of the remote or cable orientation, and makes it possible to use the MC1 at longer distances (e.g., on a crane or boom) with non-powered USB extension cables. An optional automatic recording restart feature is included, which can stop and restart video recording at 11-minute intervals for long film sequences, or can act as a fail safe.
The MC1 is approximately 3″ x 1.5″ x .75″ and weighs 3.4 ounces. It connects to the camera with a standard mini-B to A USB cable (the same cable used to connect a Canon EOS camera to a computer). Three 1/4″-20 mounting points on the top and sides are provided to secure the MC1 to a rig or handle.
Canon EOS Compatibility:
- Initiates video start/stop, image capture, digital zoom, autofocus, and live view
- Controls ISO, aperture, and shutter speed
- Optional 11-minute automatic recording restart
- Does not interfere with HDMI output for external monitors or electronic viewfinders
- Uses standard mini-B to A USB cables to connect to the camera
- Non-powered USB extension cables extend range to 25+ meters
- 30+ hour battery life on two AAA alkaline batteries
- Also compatible with AAA lithium and rechargeable batteries
- Three ¼”-20 threaded mounting points on the top and sides
- Constructed of CNC milled 6061 aluminum
- Approx. 3″ x 1.5″ x .75″ dimensions and 3.4 oz (96 g) total weight with included batteries
- Made in the USA
Okii Systems specializes in custom software and embedded systems applications for the photography and film industry. The newly released MC1 follows the widely anticipated Okii USB Focus Controller that debuted in early 2011. The success of the USB Focus Controller prompted the company to expand its product line. More innovative products are anticipated in 2012.
Blogger's Disclaimer: we post all sorts of news – in this case, we've also been given 2 of the MC1 units to evaluate and give away. But we would have posted the news regardless!
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Disney and Redrock Micro Collaborate to Bring New Technologies to Market - March 16, 2018
- Panasonic EVA1 vs Canon C200 – Camera Shootout 2018 - March 13, 2018
- Photographer Accused of Stealing an Image Discovers That Both He and the Other Photographer Captured the Exact Millisecond in Time - March 8, 2018