This is cool – I've seen the promos for the new movie “Real Steel” but I wasn't aware that they're featuring Canon EOS 5D Mark IIs and Redrock Micro gear visually in the movie itself! I had a conversation yesterday with Brian from Redrock and he told me how the moviemakers called him asking if they could use Redrock gear in the movie – and since it is set in the future, they must be thinking that HDSLRs are going to be the wave of the future – and be effective news gathering tools for a long long time.
UPDATE:A couple of commentors have seemed to get the wrong impression – the “Real Steel” movie was not shot on the Canon EOS 5D Mark II but used them as props in the movie itself.
Hollywood has seen the future, and it's DSLR + Redrock!
The latest Hollywood blockbuster – “Real Steel” starring Hugh Jackman – opens today (Friday Oct 7th) nationwide. This movie marks a significant milestone in DSLR history since it's the first time Hollywood producers have used Canon DSLRs *in the movie itself*!!
The Dreamworks team decided that in the same future where fighting robots is the new entertainment, video and press are all using Canon EOS 5D Mark IIs (though by then maybe they are 5D MKVIIIs?!) outfitted with Redrock rigs. check out the film in your local theaters this weekend and see how many times you can spot DSLR rigs (hint: it's usually when the press are swarming Hugh Jackman). We here at planet5D have certainly seen plenty of productions with DSLRs behind the scenes or being used to shoot the movie, but this is the first time we've seen a big budget Hollywood flick using them as part of the movie itself. cool!
Win a Redrock Micro rig!
To celebrate “The future is DSLR + Redrock”, planet5D is doing an exclusive contest with Redrock Micro to win a Redrock rig of your choice! To enter you simply need to tweet
“the future is #DSLR + @redrockmicro You can win #RedrockRealSteal on planet5D here: blog.planet5d.com/njd”
(Note: click on this link to go to twitter with the text of the tweet – thanks Daniel!)
and you'll be entered. Winner selected at random, and the contest runs through noon Central Time (which is where I live in St. Louis) on Oct 28th.
In the meantime, you can check out some of redrock's awesome gear at store.redrockmicro.com
- Giveaway is open worldwide
- You MUST follow both @planetMitch and @redrockmicro to be eligible
- You must tweet the contest entry as shown above
- if you don't have a twitter ID – post a comment below to be eligible telling us how much you'd like to win
- There's an upper limit of $2000 on the rig you can select
- the contest ends at NOON (12 pm CT USA) on October 28th
- the random winner must provide a valid email reply to planetMitch by Noon CT November 1st or we'll pick again
Pretty simple eh?
When you watch the movie, come back and post how many 5D2 and Redrock rigs you spotted
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Disney and Redrock Micro Collaborate to Bring New Technologies to Market - March 16, 2018
- Panasonic EVA1 vs Canon C200 – Camera Shootout 2018 - March 13, 2018
- Photographer Accused of Stealing an Image Discovers That Both He and the Other Photographer Captured the Exact Millisecond in Time - March 8, 2018