Things are heating up in the camera world as the weather cools off in the northern hemisphere – and with Canon’s announcement of something major coming November 3rd, as well as another potential release on Oct 26 (see below), plus the recent patent finding for an aperture ring (again see more below), we thought it time to do a quick rumor roundup – as well as announcing that we’re going to have Craig Blair from canonrumors.com live on planet5D next Monday – a month before the Canon announcement.
planet5D live with Craig from canonrumors.com
Monday Oct 3rd 3pm ET
please join us for this live conversation where you get to ask the questions!
To convert GMT for your time zone, use this GMT conversion site
What do we know?
- November 3rd Canon announcing something that is (in their words) “an Historic Global Announcement”
- It has been 3 years since the Canon EOS 5D Mark II was announced
- The disasters earlier this year in Japan threw off many things
- the Canon EOS 5D Mark II is still selling like hotcakes tho Canon has put out rebates (more on this coming)
- And don’t forget this Northlight-images chart of the Canon product releases… the 1Ds Mk III is the oldest and most likely for a refresh if Canon were to keep that line open (there are some thoughts they might merge that with the 1D Mk IV).
- October 26th is likely a printer announcement, but the question is why does it have the EOS logo on it? (note: printer details from CR)
What do we think?
- We’re not expecting a DSLR at the October 26th announcement (but that EOS logo is a bit confusing)
- I’m not expecting a DSLR at the November 3rd announcement
- I suspect there’s one or two larger sensor video cameras coming from Canon Nov 3
- I still think Canon is working towards 2012 HDSLR cameras – doing it “right” as opposed to rushing out intermediate models
- Mirrorless isn’t as exciting as we thought? “Poll #2: Are you going to buy the new Nikon 1 mirrorless camera?“
- canonrumors.com latest rumors
- No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3
- Opinion – What EOS Will Look Like by Photokina
- New Video Camera Information?
- NorthLight-Images rumors
New patent for Aperture ring for HDSLR video?
Small section from the Photography Bay story
Anyone who has shot video with a Canon DSLR recognizes that smooth iris pulls are impossible while recording with Canon’s EF lenses. In one of the more interesting patent applications of late, Canon revealed that it is working on new lenses with aperture rings for adjusting aperture settings during video capture.
The new lenses with aperture rings utilize electronic control of the lens diaphragm rather than a mechanical aperture ring of yesteryear.
Tough calls here – I’m still under the impression that we’ll not see a new HDSLR as there were strong signals that there wouldn’t be one before 2012. As I said above, it seems to me (and I’m not in the business of selling cameras so I could be way off here) that Canon has realized what a power position they are in after the success of the current line up and it would be best to hit a home run with the next generation of bodies as opposed to putting out half-assed upgrades just to satisfy the ‘must have new camera’ groupies.
Also, tho the price in the USA and Canada for the 5D2 has dropped and there’s a Canon rebate in the USA for $100 off, that doesn’t mean they’re clearing out product for a new release. There have been several rebates for the Canon EOS 7D and we are still on the first generation there.
And – according to the poll in the right hand column ==> you guys tend to believe the November 3rd announcement is for large sensor video cameras as well.
In any event, join us this coming Monday to ask these questions of Craig Blair from canonrumors.com! When you join us live in the chat room on planet5D live, you get to ask the questions right alongside me.
Sound off in the comments
(cover photo credit: snap from the fake 5D3 commercial several weeks ago)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- Fragile Beat of the Heart -a Beautifully Filmed Depiction of the Harsh and Uncertain Edges of Marred, Modern Love - October 7, 2015
- WOW! RED In the LOW PRICE Category? RED Raven Priced at $5,950 With a 4K Dragon Sensor - September 23, 2015
- After HUGE Beta Launch, MUSE Re-Opens for Very Limited Time #filmmaking #training - September 22, 2015