Here's an interesting idea: open source lighting – sure you've heard of open source software and now, here's a project from Rift Labs where they're trying to get new photographic lighting built for photographers and movie makers – with the main use being video with constant light output.
First, watch the video:
We are developing an intelligent digital light source for HDSLR photography at www.riftlabs.com
We are developing a new generation of Open Source photo hardware. Come visit us at www.riftlabs.com if you are into photography or video and want to have a look.
We wanted to let you know about a new intelligent digital light for HDSLR being developed at Rift Labs.
This is developed as open source hardware, the design files, the firmware, and the schematics are posted on the site.
The development process is ongoing and we are inviting other photographers to take part in co-creating. Discuss features, make suggestions and vote on designs.
The site is just launched a couple of days ago (be gentle!). Everything isn't nice and tidy just yet, but we are working on it. Our ambition is to develop a next generation of intelligent digital lights for ourselves and other photographers. And we want to spread the word
The first product in development (codename Floyd) has a panel form factor and a number of cool features:
- True color light. Can emit light of ‘any' color and color temperature
- Built in color-meter for manual or automatic color temperature adjustment
- Built in electronic filters
- Aluminium body for strength and ruggedness
- Light weight and bright
- Easy to use, with a color LCD screen for user feedback
- USB port for accessories and firmware updates
- Sync port for flash and frame triggers
- This is a platform device with an ARM microprocessor (the kind that powers your mobile phone). It can communicate, be updated, expanded, etc.
- And lots more to come
Here are a few pointers to more info:
(cover photo credit: snap from the site)
Latest posts by planetMitch (see all)
- GoPro In the News for All the Wrong Reasons - January 12, 2018
- Panasonic Releases LUMIX GH5s – Extended Coverage! - January 9, 2018
- DJI Introduces Single Hand Gimbal, Ronin S - January 8, 2018