A common question in the NAB 2011 Redrock Micro booth was “what's up with the microEVF?” At the time, Redrock mastermind Brian Valente was telling everyone that they had decided to delay the electronic viewfinder they had announced last fall in order to re-evaluate the market. Today we present a bit more information. Nextwavedv noticed last week that Redrock Micro had updated their Facebook page with a mini-update on the microEVF and since we have a good relationship with Brian, we asked for some additional clarification.
Here's the info that Brian sent
- we were the first to announce an EVF design with HDSLRs in mind
- since that time, many announcements, all seeming to add features to justify a price of $750 or even more
- to us, that runs counter to the idea of HDSLRs and democratizing high production value. Something different needs to happen
- so we decided to go a different route and instead rethink our EVF as something closer to half that price, but maintain all the critical features – 1:1 pixel, signal pass-through, high resolution, etc. and keep the unique Redrock look of compact lightweight size
- so we've announced that we are delaying our microEVF and going back to the designs to see how we can produce high quality for around $350-375 target. It would be a minor miracle, but that's what we're working on.
- like our Facebook page to keep up with updates on this project
- no release date announced
So, there you have it straight from the source… keep your eye on planet5D for any additional news on EVFs and other HDSLR news.
(cover photo credit: original prototype photo from RRM from fall last year)