UPDATE 2: thursday april 21 1pm CDT
Just in from canon:
There are no safety issues with 7D firmware including version 1.2.5. The Canon UK web site posted it before they were supposed to, but it will be reposted worldwide within the next few days.
UPDATE: 4pm CT – the 5Dmark2Team discovered that the firmware update is no longer available on the Canon UK site – weird!
Canon EOS 7D firmware update 1.2.5 released – it includes no additional features like audio updates – it is mainly a few bug fixes – please read below for all the details and the download links. Interestingly there is one fix for an “err 02” problem which I thought was something you had to send the camera back to Canon to repair. That's good! Our thanks to the 5Dmark2Team for sending us the alert.
Firmware Version 1.2.5 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
- Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
- Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where “Err 02″ appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
- Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards: If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
- Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
- Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens: When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
- Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese. (This applies to models in overseas markets. The models for the Japanese market do not display those languages.)
You can select your operating system on this download page on the Canon UK site
(cover photo credit: snap from the video)