A new Magic Lantern firmware release for the Canon Rebel T2i/550D has been released enabling features that aren't available with the standard Canon firmware. Be warned tho that Magic Lantern (tho we've not heard of any reports of this happening) in rare circumstances could damage your camera or void your warranty (we have to say that to cover our backsides). As we said, we've not heard any reports of anything bad happening to anyone's camera – tho we should also warn you that the firmware may crash which could cause you to lose a recording.
You can find it on the main 550D wiki page
- * GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
- * Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
- * Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
- * Spotmeter, histogram
- * Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
- * Simple intervalometer
- * Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
- * Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
- * AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
- * Rack focus
- * Stack focus (Live View only)
- * Lens data computation
- * Onscreen audio meters
- * Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
- digital filters
- * Display time remaining during video recording
- * Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable (EOSCard), and new install & user guides. Even with all the testing this version has received, nobody can guarantee it is bug-free. There is still a small risk in using this software, and we want to fix all the bugs and improve it. Please read the installation instructions carefully!
New developments will continue. Maybe coming soon: customizable ISO, auto QScale, fluent zebras, better UI, scripting… suggestions welcome.
Many thanks to all the Magic Lantern developers, contributors and users who made possible this release!
Source: We first saw the reports of this being available many days ago on the planet5D forum
(Photo credit: snap from the Magic Lantern site)