Redrock Micro announces the M3 cinema lens adapter – while not specifically an HDSLR announcement, based on the number of posts on other sites that I've seen about this and the fact that there are many video guys and gals reading this blog (thank you by the way!), I thought we'd at least let you know about it. And yes, Redrock is a planet5D sponsor.
Brian from Redrock sent us this video
“Many people have only been aware of being able to do this with HDSLR cameras, and the 35mm lens adapter is another option that overcomes the limitations of DSLRs (of course not without its own).
There are a lot of shooters who shoot both HDSLR and lens adapters to get a certain look, simplify workflow (example: main video camera with audio, time code, etc. and the 5D as a B camera). With our LiveLens lens mount you can also use Canon EF lenses on it as well
This is a bit of a preview but look at this clip, which is shot 80% with the M3 adapter and Panasonic HPX170 and 20% Canon 5DMKII. They cut together seamlessly”
Hollywood, CA – Redrock Micro, the recognized leader in affordable professional-quality cinema accessories, today announced the new M3 cinema lens adapter. The brand new M3 is the definitive 35mm lens adapter for achieving remarkable film look with your existing video camera, is a great complement to HDSLR cameras, and delivers a unique ‘organic look' found only with Redrock lens adapters.
The M3 brings together seven years of development, a handful of prestigious industry awards, and hundreds of design iterations into a next-generation product that is simply the best lens adapter available today.
The M3 delivers razor sharp images with a beautiful feel, wrapped in a rugged professional body and support system. The many technical achievements and enhancements of the M3 include:
- Monster oversized optics delivery approximately Â¼ stop: nearly transparent operation
- High rpm spinning ground glass enables stopping the lens down to f16 or more without showing grain
- State of the art power system with locking lemo-style connectors, auxiliary power ports, rechargeable batteries, and power status indicators
- Pro housing: uni-body design, precision machined aluminum, hard anodized finish, rubberized weather-resistant port covers, cleaning port, and fully gasketed for silent operation
- Tool-less setup and operation, including new baseplate with thumbscrews, and breach lock camera connector, and integrated flip optics
Perfect companion for HDSLR cameras
The popularity wave of HDSLR cameras has come with a realization these cameras come with a host of shortcomings. Among them, lack of good integrated audio, a limited recording codec, lack of full manual controls, and rolling shutter issues. Combined with a video camera, the M3 delivers the highly desired HDSLR “film look” while eliminating the drawbacks of HDSLR cameras. An M3 rig and HDSLR cameras can be used together for a high quality multi-camera solution that brings the best of both worlds together in an incredible affordable package:
- Achieve the sought after shallow depth of field and film look without the drawbacks of HDSLR cameras (audio, codec, rolling shutter, full camera controls)
- M3 footage cuts seamlessly with HDSLR footage
- Share same set of lenses with HDSLR with unique LiveLensâ„¢ active lens mount for EF lenses
Legendary Redrock ‘Look'
In the same way people seek out prized lenses for their “look”, the Redrock cinema lens adapter “look” has become a highly sought after aesthetic. Described as “organic” and “highly filmic”, the M3 continues the tradition of this amazing footage, while raising the bar for better underlying technology:
- M3 delivers unique, highly sought after ‘organic look' to footage
- Razor sharp while maintaining beautiful bokeh and image quality
“Redrock's mission has always been to empower anyone to shoot high production value, film style imagery,” said James Hurd, Chief Revolutionary for Redrock Micro. “The M3 delivers a unique blend of amazing footage with the control and power of modern digital video cameras. Anyone who shoots with an HDSLR camera but is frustrated by its shortcomings will appreciate what the M3 delivers.”
Pricing and Availability
The Redrock M3 cinema lens adapter is available in several different configurations and bundles. Special Introductory pricing starts at $1,320. The M3 can be ordered today direct from Redrock micro or through authorized Redrock resellers. The M3 will start shipping December 1st 2010.
About Redrock Micro
Redrock Micro revolutionized independent film production in the early 2000s with the M2 Encore cinema lens adapter, and reinvented digital filmmaking in 2008 with HDSLR cinema rigs and accessories. Today, Redrock Micro continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning depth-of-field adapters, support rigs, focus controllers, and advanced cinema accessories. More information can always be found at redrockmicro.com.
Blogger's Disclaimer: yes, redrock micro is a planet5D sponsor
(Photo credit: snap from the redrock announcement)