Canonrumors has been posting several rumors lately and we thought it about time to maybe consolidate them for you. Today, they posted images (see below) of what appears to be a new Canon body that has a articulating LCD! Canonrumors is calling it the 60D.
UPDATE – Sunday Aug 15
“I said that I have some very exciting announcements coming in the next 2-4 weeks – thatâ€™s true!
BUT – they will have absolutely, unequivocally, NOTHING to do with Canon or a Canon product.
I just had to clarify this because several rumor sites have picked up on a quote I made (highlighted below) in a post I wrote last week and taken it out of context – even though I made it clear that these rumors were photography related not video related and would involve the iPad and iPhone.”
UPDATES – Aug 12
“The truth is we have more info and announcements coming in the next 2-4 weeks than Iâ€™ve probably ever had since Reverie or Nocturneâ€¦ Iâ€™m pretty excited actually.”
A few things about the 60D
– Iâ€™m told that the 60D will NOT be a magnesium body. This would definitely separate it from the 7D.
– The body of the 60D is also slightly smaller than the 50D, but will have a larger grip area.
– The camera will cost $200-$300 more than the T2i
Original post continues…
First, before we get to the images (and maybe more exciting to many of you), Canonrumors posted a spec list for a new “Hybrid Flagship” camera…
The 2nd part of the same email spoke of â€œA dream camera for any pro photographer and cinematographer that needs the ultimate image and movie quality in difficult light environmentâ€
The camera has been in testing for a short time now.
– A lower mp full frame Sensor
– Dynamic range optimized
– Raw video
– Continuous focus on video mode
– Smaller form factor than 1D series.
interesting eh? RAW video? continuous focus in video? Yikes! We want it now!
But here are the images they've posted:
We thought those were a little dark, so we played with trying to clean them up a bit to find out some of the details…
So, what can we glean from these images (assuming they're real)?
The camera shown appears to have:
– articulating screen
– popup flash (meaning it is likely a 60D – not a Canon EOS 5D Mark II replacement)
– Fewer buttons than the 5D2, 7D – similar to 50D (see images below)
We thought we'd compare to other backs in the current Canon line:
See anything missing? Well I do – lots of buttons. There are so few buttons on the back that we have to wonder where all the functionality is…
– is there a new menu system?
– Is the screen a ‘touch screen' somehow?
– Where's the trash can/delete button? Update: it is just above the LCD on the upper left – it is partly hidden by the strap in the first picture.
– What happened to the joystick? There isn't one here! Tho – it looks like the quick control wheel now has an inner ring, maybe they replaced the joystick with this inner ring?
Other questions… with an articulating screen, does that put the sticky viewfinders out of business (like the first and second generation Z-finder – the 3rd gen z-finders mount differently but will be in the way if you want to pop out the screen).
And what are the plug in connections? I tried messing with the exposure, contrast, sharpening etc to see if I could figure out what the gasket covers say but I don't know for sure… here's an attempt:
I tried all sorts of things to try to bring out the text on these rubber gaskets, and even dragging the sharpen slider in Aperture left and right while looking at the image seems to help the eye try to decipher the image, but I haven't been able to do it. It seems like the area below HDMI says “ACHSM” but I don't have a clue what that would be. Actually, looking at the side of the Canon Rebel T2i/550D (reviews) it looks like to me it might be this:
I was hoping it would indicate something like “Video RAW out” LOL!
So what are you expecting in your next camera? Can Canon pull off RAW video output? Sound off in the comments below!
(Photo credit: snap from the Canonrumors site)