Well, for those of us using Aperture, the big day has finally come – version 3.0 is released! “What's new in Aperture 3 – Faces and Places. Brushes for precision retouching. Dozens of adjustment presets. True full-screen browsing and editing. And thatâ€™s just part of the perfect picture.”
They are boasting over 200 new features including:
- Video! Yes, you can import, catalog, export and even combine with stills to make movies and export them to places like youtube (see this video)
- Faces – identify people like you can in iPhoto
- Places – yep GPS support – and maps showing where photos were taken (watch this video)
- Merge libraries – make updates to projects on different machines and merge the changes into a master library (shown in the workflow video)
- New brushes for spot editing
- Adjustment presets
- Advanced slide shows includes layered soundtracks
- Record custom timings in slideshows – just tap the return key and aperture adjusts
- Full screen just about everything
- Adjustment Curves! (Shown in the Jarvis video)
There are a ton of changes that I haven't even begun to figure out yet tho there are a wealth of ‘how to' videos they've put online as well. We'll be updating this as we learn more. I just requested the demo version for download. I'm surprised that the Apple store only sells it as a package with shipment – no electronic download (tho I'm guessing they do this so they can track shipments to “know” you got the product).
Oh – full price is $199 and the upgrade is $99.
Notice the system requirements – you'd better have an intel mac and newer software.
(Photo credit: snap from the Apple site)